|Place a FLO book request.|
|Use the Book Request Form for physical items not in the FLO catalog.|
|Use the Article Request Form for articles or book chapters not at Wheelock|
|Which Request Do I Use?|
Wheelock College Library is committed to providing patrons with the resources that they need regardless of whether the library owns the them. Through our interlibrary loan (ILL) service, Wheelock students, faculty and staff may request to borrow materials from other libraries. Please see below for more information and policies regarding ILL.
Who can make requests?
- Current students, faculty, staff, and administrators of the college
- Students and faculty in community programs who are able to get to the Boston campus
- Worcester MSW students (go to the Article & Book Delivery section below )
- Students in international, online and off-campus programs requesting articles and book chapters that the library can reasonably provide electronically
Who CANNOT make requests?
- Alumni, guest borrowers and members of the public
- Students in international, online and off-campus programs, or those in community programs not near the Boston campus requesting physical materials (except for Worcester MSW students). Please use the Interlibrary Loan services available through local public and/or affiliate libraries
What can you request?
- Books, articles, book chapters, kits and curriculum materials, music CDs and films that are not owned by the library
- Books, articles, book chapters, kits and curriculum materials, music CDs and films that are not owned by one of the Fenway Library Organization (FLO): Emerson College, Lesley University, Mass College of Art, Mass College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, New England Conservatory, and Wentworth Institute of Technology
- Books and media that are declared lost or missing or that are currently checked out
What CANNOT be requested?
- Items owned by Wheelock College Library, unless they are missing, in mending or checked out
- Items currently on reserve or items for course reserves
- More than one journal article from any single issue of a journal that was published within the past five years
- More than a single scanned book chapter, or more than a scan of 10% of a single book (whichever is greater)
- Some items, such as movies, music, recently-published books, bestsellers, dissertations and rare materials, can be difficult to obtain as many libraries do not lend them through ILL
- Use the Book Request form or the Article Request form
- In our databases, look for the link "Request this item through interlibrary loan"
- Requests are limited to 7 items per person per week
- You will get an email confirming we've processed your request
- Requests are processed by library staff in the order they are received
- Most physical items arrive in 3 to 5 business days, but some could take 2 to 4 weeks depending on availability.
- You will get an email when your items are available. Books, articles sent in print format due to publisher restrictions, and all other ILL physical items need to be picked up at the service desk.
- Articles and book chapters usually arrive within 3 business days, but they can take longer depending on the particular item requested.
- You will get an email when your items are available. Articles and book chapters will be delivered by email as PDFs whenever possible.
Returns & Renewals
- Due dates are set by the lending libraries and renewals are not always possible. If you 'd like to request to renew an ILL item, please contact us BEFORE the item is due: email@example.com
- Patrons are responsible for returning ILL items to the Wheelock College Library service desk. Articles do not need to be returned.
- ILL items may be recalled by the library that lent them to us before their due date. If this happens, we will contact you and you must return the item immediately. If the item is still needed, ILL staff, upon request, will attempt to obtain another copy from a different library.
Students in the Worcester MSW program can use the ILL forms above to request materials available in the print collections at Wheelock College Library. We will deliver articles and book chapters electronically, and we will mail print books directly to your home. Please note that students are responsible for returning the print books to the Wheelock College Library via USPS or other means. On the forms, be sure to indicate that your location is Worcester; on the book form, please provide your complete mailing address so we can ship you the book.
When we receive your request, we will first check to see if we have it in our print collections.
- If we have the book in our Library and it is available for checkout, we will mail it to your home address and it will arrive in 3-5 business days.
- If we don't have the book or it isn't available for checkout, we will request it through interlibrary loan. Please note that materials requested through ILL can come from any number of libraries, depending on which libraries have the book and are able to send it to us. If we request it through ILL, we will mail it to your home address. The arrival time can vary, depending on how fast we receive the shipment from the library that lends us the book, but may take 1-2 weeks.
Please note that we cannot mail our materials for pick up at the Holy Cross Library, however, Wheelock Worcester MSW students are now permitted to check out materials directly from the Holy Cross Library (to obtain a borrower's card, bring your Wheelock ID to the the Holy Cross Library circulation desk; with the card you can check out up to ten items for 28 days). Wheelock Worcester MSW may also use Holy Cross Library spaces, collections and online resources on-site. All other library services, like interlibrary loan and remote database access, will be provided by Wheelock College Library.
Notice Regarding Requests Fees
ILL is a free service to Wheelock students, faculty and staff. The library will first attempt to fill requests placed by patrons using free lenders. When a free lender does not exist, staff will verify that the patron needs the particular resource, that a substitute resource is not sufficient, and that the item can be reasonably obtained by the time the patron needs it. If a non-free lender is used, the library will pay for the cost of obtaining it. In cases where the cost of the resource or the frequency of non-free loan requests by an individual patron is determined to be excessive, staff will work to accommodate the patron's need in a fiscally responsible way.
Notice Concerning Copyright Restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy of other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Please direct any questions or requests for assistance to: firstname.lastname@example.org You may also call or stop by the service desk: (617) 879-2222.