2016 Passion for Action Leadership Celebration
On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 6:00 p.m., the mood was festive at Wheelock College's Brookline Campus, where Wheelock College held its Passion for Action Leadership Celebration. The College's mission—sustained for nearly 130 years via the tireless work and devotion of the College's students and alumni–energized amongst the crowd.
Honored this year were:
Former CEO, Tufts Health Plan
|James O'Connell, MD
Boston Healthcare for the Homeless
The Celebration supports the Passion for Action Scholarship Program, which is the largest scholarship program at the College. Four-year scholarships are given to Greater Boston-area students who have already demonstrated a compelling commitment to community service throughout their high school years. Recipients of our Passion for Action scholarships receive a highly sought-after scholarship and also gain access to an enriched academic and leadership development program with the following elements:
- Community Service Projects - Scholars participate in community service projects all four years.
- Service-Learning Projects - Scholars typically participate in two service-learning projects, domestically or internationally, during their four years at Wheelock. They can participate in a Wheelock-organized trip to West Africa, Northern Ireland, New Orleans, or Puerto Rico, among others-or they might organize their own service-learning projects.
- Community/Business Leader Networking - Scholars participate in special meetings annually with key Boston-area business and community leaders.
- Service and Leadership Seminars - Scholars attend seminars designed to build community service and leadership skills.
- Capstone Project - As juniors, scholars begin working with faculty and staff to formulate a "passionate idea." As seniors, they develop and present their "passionate ideas" in a public forum.