Wheelock World Service
"The one thing that makes life worth living is to serve a cause."
- Lucy Wheelock
The entire College community is gearing up for Wheelock World Service 2018, which aims to unite students, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of the College in service to their communities. By coming together to perform volunteer activities in different parts of the country and the world, Wheelock community members will make a powerful collective statement about the College’s commitment to service.
2018 will mark the eighth year of Wheelock World Service (WWS) activities, and we invite you to start thinking about leading a service project in your area. In the past, we have had alumni lead neighborhood cleanups, serve meals, organize book drives, plant vegetables in a community garden, read to young children, host blood drives, write notes to military personnel, visit nursing homes, etc. Please fill out the Propose a Project Form and we will be in touch with you.
You also have the opportunity to join an existing project, so be sure to revisit the website as we continue to add service activities. This year, Boston University has opened their BU Global Days of Service to our community. The great benefit to our alumni is that they have more than 200 projects all over the globe and online, so everyone is likely to find an opportunity to engage. You can learn more on the their website.
We're asking participants to count the hours they serve during WWS so we can measure the overall impact of this important event. Fill out our Service Log Form and make sure your hours count! If you participated in one of the highlighted projects or one of your own, let us know. Every act of kindness counts.
We would also love to hear how you are serving your community during other times of the year. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any news or photos.
Wheelock World Service Week 2017 was a big success! Close to 300 alumni, students, faculty, and staff participated, and we estimate that well over 1,900 hours were dedicated to service. Thanks to all those who showed their commitment to improving the lives of children and families by volunteering with the Wheelock community. If you were a team leader, or did service in your home community, please report back to us with details and photos. Here are some examples of the impact we made in 2017:
1. 552 items were donated
2. 210 books donated to the Mattahunt Elementary School in Mattapan, MA
3. 164 articles of clothing donated, including 32 jackets, to Boston Health Care for the Homeless
4. 115 lunches served at My Brother's Table in Lynn, MA
5. 196 breakfast plates served at the Women's Lunch Place in Boston, MA
6. 14 new registrants for Be The Match - National Bone Marrow Registry
7. 8 bags of trash collected on the Middlesex Fells
8. 96 Books donated for Moms Do Care
9. 33 miles walked for the Brain Aneurysm Foundation
10. 33 miles walked and $1,235.00 raised for the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center
11. 12 cards made for Cards for Hospitalized Kids
12. 17 Bookmarks made for City Year students
Visit the 2017 Project page for more detailed information on the former projects.