Social Work Student Assistance Fund
Apply for Assistance Now
Download the Student Assistance Fund Application (pdf)
(There is one form for both BSW and MSW applicants.)
The BSW Student Assistance Fund was established in 2005 by Dr. Sau-Fong Siu, Professor Emerita of Social Work and former Director of the Bachelor of Social Work Program. The MSW Student Assistant Fund is supported by Professor and Dean Emerita Dr. Kathleen Kirk Bishop.
The purpose of both funds is to provide small grants of up to $400.00 to social work students who are experiencing a financial emergency, resulting from a specific situation, such as a theft of property, fire, etc. Funds may not be used for student tuition, books, college loan repayment, or other school-related expenses.
You must be an enrolled and declared BSW major or a currently enrolled MSW student.
- You may only receive one grant per academic year.
- Your financial need must be of an emergency nature. To repeat, the money cannot be used to pay for student tuition, books, college loan repayment, or other school-related expenses.
- You must complete and submit the attached application form and are required to submit a letter of support from your academic advisor, or another Social Work faculty member.
- Submit the completed application to your department chair or program coordinator.
- Your completed application will be reviewed and kept confidential by the Social Work Leadership Team, consisting of BSW Chair, the MSW Chair, the Site Coordinator for the Wheelock@Worcester program, the Associate Dean for Social Work, Leadership, and Policy, and the Director of Social Work Field Education.
- You will be notified of the decision by email within two weeks of the receipt of your application.
- Awards will be made throughout the academic year based upon student eligibility and sufficient monetary resources within the Student Assistance Fund.
Download the application (pdf)