Streamlined Reading Specialist Master's Program Application for Partner Public School Districts
Wheelock College has streamlined its graduate application process for the Reading Specialist Master's program for teachers from our partner public school districts: Boston Public Schools and Brookline Public Schools. Applicants should please submit the following items:
1. Wheelock Graduate Application - Please complete and submit Wheelock's On-campus Online Application.
2. Essay - Please submit a 1-2 page essay describing why you would like to attend Wheelock College as a graduate student in the BPS Reading Specialist Masters Program. Your essay should include information on how you became interested in this field of work and why you feel Wheelock College, with its mission to improve the lives of children and families, would be the ideal place for you to continue your education. You are also encouraged to describe the strengths that you bring to your chosen field and the professional challenges that you will face.
3. Letter of Reference - One professional letter of reference is required, written by an individual who can discuss your work or relevant experience such as a principal, department head or another teacher. References from family members and/or friends are not acceptable. Please note that additional letters of reference may be requested at the discretion of the Admission Committee.
You must use the electronic reference form we provide as part of the online application. Please follow the instructions on the application to have the electronic recommendation sent securely to your recommenders by email.
4. Academic Records (transcripts) - Students applying for admission to a graduate program at Wheelock College must hold a Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited institution. Degree-seeking applicants must present official transcripts from each junior college, college, and university (including Wheelock College, if applicable) at which the applicant was granted a degree.
Applicants should contact the Registrar of each school attended, requesting that an official transcript be sent either to the student or to the Office of Graduate Admissions directly. If the student chooses to submit the transcripts, they must be sent in their original sealed envelopes. Any applicant still taking courses or completing a program at the time of application may be eligible for conditional acceptance and must submit a follow-up transcript showing final grades and degree subsequently obtained. Additional transcripts regarding transferred course work may be requested at the discretion of the Admission Committee.
5. Resume - Work experience and career progression are important and will be considered by the Admissions Committee. Resumes should be submitted in a professional format and include: contact information, educational background, work experience, and skills.
6. MTEL Scores/Initial Licensure - All applicants must submit copies of all relevant teaching licenses from the state where their primary licensure was issued. This information may be uploaded electronically through the online application.