Master's in Educational Studies: International Teaching and Global Learning/China
Application Deadline is March 1, 2017!
Wheelock College announces an exciting Master's degree for Early Education and Care (EEC) certified teachers in the burgeoning field of international teaching. Combine advanced course work with the opportunity of a lifetime to live in a global city - Shanghai or Chengdu, China - with a paid, teaching placement in a bi-lingual preschool.
An attractive feature of the Master's in Educational Studies: International Teaching and Global Learning is the unique opportunity for you to not only pursue personal and professional goals, but also work closely with outstanding faculty to design your own course of study. You will complete core courses in human development, research, and multiculturalism in addition to a capstone experience, while working and gaining school leadership experience in China.
In China, Wheelock has teamed with ELFA Preschool & Childcare, one of Asia's premier educational organizations to offer field placements. ELFA is committed to providing preschool children with quality childcare and kindergarten services in a holistic learning environment.
Its emphasis on harmonious, meaningful education is a natural complement to Wheelock's goal of providing transformational education to students passionate about inspiring a world of good for children and families.
The 21st Century has been termed the Asian Century and China represents a remarkable vantage point from which to experience the transformations in the world. In addition, the globalization of early childhood education, whether as the result of the rapidly growing demand worldwide for quality schooling and teachers or the increasingly global composition of classrooms, suggests the importance of acquiring an international perspective. This unique and innovative Master's degree prepares teachers for the opportunities and demands of an interconnected world.
Students will receive:
- An 11-month contract as Teacher in Residence at net salary of $7,700 CNY/month, plus lunch during the week
- A furnished apartment
- For teachers with families, ELFA offers a guaranteed place for preschool-age child(ren) and half tuition to the school where the parent teaches
- Health insurance
- Costs associated with getting a work permit and visa
- Round-trip Boston-China economy airfare
Applicants interested in applying to the Master's in Educational Studies: International Teaching and Global Learning program must possess:
- A four-year undergraduate degree in Early Childhood Education
- A valid Department of Early Education and Care Professional (DEEC) Qualification (Level II Lead Infant-Toddler or Preschool Teacher) and/or Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) early childhood educator licensure (PreK-2), or equivalent, depending on the state.
- Two years of classroom experience, post-Bachelor's degree
- Strong academic credentials
March 1, 2017: Application deadline
April 1, 2017: Notification of Acceptance to Wheelock Program
April 1-8, 2017: Interview by ELFA
April 15, 2017: Notification of acceptance by ELFA China
July/August 2017: Summer classes at Wheelock
August 28-31, 2017: Orientation at ELFA China
Learn More or Apply
Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions