School of Arts and Sciences
School of Arts and Sciences
Activities East, Room 223E
(see campus map)
Wheelock College and Boston University have reached an agreement to merge as of June 1, 2018 and we are no longer accepting new applications. As a prospective applicant to Wheelock College, we hope you will be interested in applying to Boston University.
Message from the Dean
Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
In the School of Arts and Sciences, you will find peers who believe they can and will make a difference in the world, and I am honored that I have had the opportunity over the past 15 years to witness our students' engagement in positive world-changing, life-transforming work. From your very first semester in the School of Arts and Sciences, you will engage in community-based learning experiences that will provide you with the opportunity to learn from and work with the diverse communities surrounding our campus. You will also engage with committed faculty through coursework, local, national and international study opportunities and through numerous individualized experiences. Programs such as Scholars in Action and the Emerging Scholars Program provide students with internships and one-on-one research and creative experiences with the faculty in Arts and Sciences.
As Dean, I enjoy making connections and building community among students, faculty and staff. As a former first-generation college student, I am aware of the significance relationships and supportive mentors play in the academic, intellectual, and professional development of students. It is my responsibility to ensure a positive and productive learning experience in a supportive and intellectually stimulating environment. Welcome to the School of Arts and Sciences.
The School of Arts and Sciences offers programs that provide students with a strong academic foundation in the liberal arts, opportunities for research, enriching field experiences that begin in your first year, and opportunities for International Service Learning Trips that allow you to bring classroom learning out to make a difference in the world.
Majors in the School of Arts and Sciences—which lead to a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree—can be taken alone or in combination with majors in the School of Education, Child Life & Family Studies or the School of Social Work, Leadership & Youth Advocacy.
- American Studies, BA
- Communications and Media Literacy, BA
- Environmental Studies, BA
- Humanities and Writing, BA
- Integrated Sciences, BA
- Mathematics for Teaching, BA
- Mathematics/Science for Teaching, BA
- Performing Arts, BA
- Political Science and Global Studies, BA
- Psychology and Human Development, BS
- Science for Teaching, BA
- Visual Arts, BA
- American Studies
- Art History
- Communications and Media Literacy
- Community Arts
- Life Science
- Performing Arts (through Colleges of the Fenway)
- Political Science and Global Studies
- Psychology and Human Development
- Physical Science
- Studio Art
- Sustainability (through Colleges of the Fenway)
Departments and Faculty
Wheelock is distinguished by our faculty's devotion to hands-on learning with real-world impact. We want you to be able to take your learning and apply it right away to make the world a better place. Our faculty are best-selling children's book authors, respected researchers, and much more. See what some of our talented Arts and Sciences faculty have been up to recently:
- Emily Ranii, Assistant Professor of Arts, directed The Old Maid and the Thief for Boston University's Opera Institute and a staged reading of Deirdre Girard's play Shaken for Nora Theatre Company.
- Sara Levine, Assistant Professor of Science, won the 2017 AAAS/Subaru SB&F Prizes for Excellence in Science Books for her latest children's book Tooth By Tooth: Comparing Fangs, Tusks, and Chompers.
- Lisa Lobel, Assistant Professor of Science, spearheaded a partnership with the Charles River Watershed that received a $10,000 grant to explore best practices for science and civic engagement cross-sector partnerships.
- Erica Licea-Kane, Associate Professor of Arts and Director of the Towne Art Gallery at Wheelock College, presented a solo exhibition of her works, titled "Over&Over," at the Kingston Gallery in Boston's SOWA District.
Arts and Sciences Departments
Learn more about the departments within the School of Arts and Sciences, including faculty bios and contact information.