Online Graduate Programs in Teaching Math and Science (STEM)
Janet Haden, Program Advisor
Is Online Learning Right for You?
Learn about our technical requirements, our collaborative learning approach, and more:
Online Learning FAQ
Learn more about STEM and the demand for STEM educators:
ABCs of STEM Education
See the full curriculum for the online Masters in Educational Studies program:
Wheelock College and Boston University have reached an agreement to merge as of June 1, 2018 and we are no longer accepting new applications. As a prospective applicant to Wheelock College, we hope you will be interested in applying to Boston University.
Are you ready to inspire a new generation of students in math and science?
Our Master of Science (MS) in Educational Studies with a focus on STEM is an online degree program focused on teaching math and science to elementary-age children. This online program includes:
- 10 graduate courses (30 credits) that can be completed in 20 months
- 8-week courses offered consecutively and separated by short breaks
- A focus on both content and pedagogy that gives you the skills needed to get children excited about learning math and science
- An opportunity to complete a Graduate Certificate in Teaching Math and/or a Graduate Certificate in Teaching Science (4 courses each) that can later be applied to the master's degree program
- A free course offered to students who complete the full master's degree
Graduate STEM Education Offered Online
For elementary teachers, STEM educators, and a host of other STEM-related professions, this program allows you to pursue an advanced graduate certificate and/or a master's degree in STEM education while teaching or working full-time. It also provides a foundation in teaching math and science for anyone involved with STEM-related topics for elementary-aged children (academic coaches, tutors, after school teachers, museum staff, STEM curriculum developers, camp counselors, and more).
Courses are offered online with no requirement to travel to campus–enabling you to complete your studies at a place and time convenient for you.
An Affordable Path to Your Master's or Graduate Certificate
Our online courses are an affordable way to further your education. Because the program is offered exclusively online, the tuition is about 40% less than our in-class programs. Each 8-week course is just $1,785.
Tuition for each 4-course graduate certificate is $7,140 (at current cost per credit). The 10-course graduate degree tuition is $17,850 and includes an optional FREE course that you can take at the end of the program to earn both a Math AND a Science graduate certificate, making you more marketable without additional cost.
You may also be eligible for several forms of financial assistance:
- Federal Financial Aid: Full-time graduate students (those who take two courses each semester) are eligible to apply for federal financial aid such as the Federal Direct Student Loan program, which allows you to defer loan payments until after you graduate.
- TEACH Grant: The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching.
- Loan Forgiveness: The Teacher Loan Forgiveness and Teacher Loan Cancellation programs allow individuals in the teaching profession to cancel some or all of their remaining federal student loan balance.
Take Your Next Step
- Learn about our curriculum, what it's like to learn online, or our faculty.
- Learn how to apply.
- Learn about financial aid for this program on our graduate financial aid page.
- For more information, contact Janet Haden, Program Advisor, at 617-982-2032 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A graduate degree for the future, delivered online
As a private, non-profit college founded in 1888, Wheelock College has provided transformational education for well over a century to people passionate about making the world a better place for children and families. Furthermore, Wheelock is internationally recognized as a leader in STEM Education.
Our Master of Science in Educational Studies offers an approach to teaching STEM that considers children's cognitive development and their racial and cultural identities. The program balances the content knowledge and teaching approaches and explores how research (yours and that of others) informs practice. See our our curriculum for more details, including course descriptions.
Here's what recent graduates had to say about our Educational Studies program
"It was a real challenge but well worth the time and effort that went into it! ...As a result of my Master's, I can attribute receiving a $10,000 grant to run a STEM camp this summer along with a new part time position as Math Curriculum Coordinator K-5 for my District. It is exciting the avenues that have already opened up just since May."
Math Curriculum Coordinator, grades K-5
"As a wife, mom of four, and full-time special education teacher, Wheelock College's online Masters in STEM Education program has given me the perfect way to pursue my degree from home, on my own time. The professors are incredibly helpful and the discussion forums are a great way to gain a better understanding of the course topics. This program has made my journey to further my education one that I am incredibly proud to be a part of."
Special Education Teacher- grades K-2
For more information, contact Janet Haden, Program Advisor, at 617-982-2032 or email@example.com.