Instructor Special and Elementary Education Department
School of Education, Child Life and Family Studies
Office: ACW 206
B.S. (Biology), Radcliffe College
M.S., Bank Street College of Education, New York City
Karen Worth teaches courses in elementary education and science education for both pre-service and in-service teachers at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
She has done extensive development work in science education. A current focus is developing teacher skills in the use of language in science as a critical tool for scientific reasoning. She has been the principal investigator on a number of National Science Foundation projects in which she developed and published science curriculum materials for early childhood and elementary classrooms and led large-scale efforts to support the implementation of inquiry-based science programs in schools.
She was part of the development team for the National Science Education Standards, chairing the Working Group on Science Teaching Standards. She consults nationally and internationally on the implementations of inquiry-based science programs for children at pre-school and elementary levels and has served as an advisor to several informal science organizations, public television stations, and national science reform projects.
She is a recipient of the Exploratorium's Outstanding Educator Award for her work in science education, the international puRkwa prize for improving the scientific literacy of the children of the planet, and the NSTA Distinguished Service Award.
She received her Master's degree from Bank Street College of Education in New York City.
- Chalufour, I., Worth, K., Moriarty, R., Winokur, J., & Grollman, S. (2003). The Young Scientist Series: Discovering nature with young children (Teacher's Guide and Trainer's Guide and Video). St. Paul, MN: Redleaf Press.
- Worth, K., & Grollman, S.. (2003). Worms, shadows, and whirlpools ; Science in the early childhood classroom. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, and Washington, DC: NAEYC.
- Douglas, R., Klentchy, M., Worth, K., Binder, W.. Eds. (2006). Linking Science and Literacy in the K-8 Classroom. Washington, D.C.: NSTA Press.
- Worth, K. (1995). (Development Team Member). National science education standards, Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Worth, K. (1994). (Principal Investigator). Insights: An elementary hands-on science curriculum K-6. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company.