Professor Early Childhood Education Department
School of Education, Child Life and Family Studies
Office: Classroom 207B
B.S. 1968, Cornell University
M.S.Ed. 1969, Wheelock College
Ph.D. 1978, Tufts University
Diane Levin teaches courses on play, media literacy, violence prevention and peace building, and qualitative research. For 14 years, she has led an annual Wheelock Service Learning Program to Northern Ireland that focuses on "How Education Programs Can Help Communities Affected by Conflict and Violence Heal." For 20 years, she co-taught a summer institute, "Media Madness: The Impact of Sex, Violence, and Commercial Culture on Adults, Children and Society and What We Can Do about It." An internationally recognized expert, she helps professionals, parents and policymakers understand the impact of various societal forces-such as violence and sexualization, and media and commercial culture-on children's development, learning and behavior, and develop strategies for responding.
Levin is the author or co-author of nine books including: Beyond Remote-Controlled Childhood: Teaching Young Children in the Media Age (2013); So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids; The War Play Dilemma: What Every Parent and Teacher Needs to Know; and, Teaching Young Children in Violent Times: Building a Peaceable Classroom. She also has a Huffington Post blog page.
She is a co-founder of three advocacy organizations: Defending the Early Years, which advocates for appropriate early childhood practice that counteracts inappropriate aspects of many recent school reform mandates (www.deyproject.org); T.R.U.C.E-Teachers Resisting Unhealthy Children's Entertainment (www.truceteachers.org), which helps professionals help parents deal with the impact of media and promote quality play; and, Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood (www.commercialfreechildhood.org), which works to end the commercial exploitation of children. And, she has consulted for the American Psychological Association's ACT against Violence Program and been Senior Advisor for four PBS Parents' websites and the PBS Parents Magazine.
For more information, visit Dr. Levin's website: dianelevin.org.
Selected Recent Publications
- "Mandates to Teach Academic Skills to Young Children: Teachers Voice Concern." With Judith Van Hoorn. Exchange Magazine. Jan.-Feb. 2018.
- "What Has Happened to Play? An Alarming Effect of Academic Mandates in Early Childhood Settings." Schwierige Kinder. Summer, 2017. [Theraplay Journal, Ulrike Franke, Editor]. [Translated into German. Originally appeared in: Community Playthings Newsletter. September 6, 2016.
- OP ED: Why Play Is Vital in Preschool: Defending the Early Years' Response to The New York Times Report Supporting Flash Cards Over Free Play. www.DEYProject.org; summarized in Valarie Strauss, Washington Post. June 2017.
- TRUCE Summer Family Play Plans. Community Playthings E-Connect Newsletter. With B. Bundy [In honor of National Mud Day]. June 2017.
- "PERSPECTIVE FROM TODAY: A 2017 Tribute to Lucy Wheelock in Honor of the 125th Anniversary of the Assoc. for Childhood Education International." Childhood Education. May/June 2017. [Adapted from speech given at ACEI's 125th Anniversary Celebration, Washington, DC, May 2017.]
- "Teachers Speak Out: How School Reforms Are Failing Low Income Young Children." (Co-author, Judith Van Hoorn).. Published and promoted by Defending the Early Years. Released Jan. 2017. Available at: www.deyproject.org
- "Commercialism." In Encyclopedia of Contemporary Childhood Education. D. Couchenour & J. Chrisman (Eds.). Sage Publications. August 2016.
- "Media Influences on Play." In Encyclopedia of Contemporary Childhood Education. D. Couchenour & J Chrisman (Eds.). Sage Publications. August 2016.
- "Preschool Suspensions: Six Things You Should Know about This Alarming Trend." By Denisha Jones & Diane Levin. Education Week Commentary. February 24, 2016.
- "Learning to Count to "14" the Common Core Way and the Constructivist Way: What's the Difference? Why Does It Matter?" Exchange Magazine. January/Febuary, 2016. (Geralyn Mclaughlin, Co-author).
- "The Impact of Technology on Children's Play: What's the Problem and What Can We Do about It?" Play from Birth to Twelve (3rd Ed.). D. Fromberg & D. Bergen (Eds.). NY: Garland Press. 2015.
- "Play with Violence: Understand and Responding Effectively." Play from Birth to Twelve (3rd Ed.). D. Fromberg & D. Bergen (Eds.). NY: Garland Press. 2015.
- "TRUCE Family Play Plans: Encouraging Families to Play Together in the Media Age." Exchange Magazine. May/June 2015. (B. Bundy, coauthor).
- "Compassion Deficit Disorder in Children's Relationships: What Causes It? What Can We Do about It?" Community Playthings. March 2015. http://www.communityplaythings.com/resources/articles/2015/compassion-deficit-disorder
- "Point/Counterpoint: The Role of Play with Violence in Child Life Settings." Child Life Council Bulletin. Summer, 2014.
- Beyond Remote-Controlled Childhood: Teaching Young Children in the Media Age [Book]. Washington, DC: National Assoc. for the Education of Young Children. 2013. [Available at http://www.naeyc.org/store/Beyond-Remote-Controlled-Childhood]
- Young Children's Understanding of Poverty: Lessons from Greece. Exchange Magazine. May/June 2013.
- As Marketing to Children Intensifies, What Can Society Do? Solutions Magazine, April 2013. Christina Asquith, Co-Author. Article picked up by many websites such as: Al Jazeera, Yahoo, Common Dreams, and more.
- What Makes Young Children Laugh? A Developmental Perspective. Exchange Magazine. March/April 2013. [Special Section on Children's Humor].
- Facing the Screen Dilemma: Young Children, Technology and Early Childhood Childhood. Released November 2012 by Susan Linn, Joan Almon, and, Diane Levin. [Available at: www.truceteachers.org].
- Changing Times; Changing Play: Why Does It Matter? Exchange Magazine. (September/October 2012).
- The Having of a Wonderful Idea in "Essential Ideas for Healthy Childhoods." Special section in Exchange Magazine. July/August 2012.
- Beyond Remote Control Teaching and Learning: The Special Challenges of Helping Children Construct Knowledge Today. Exchange Magazine. May/June 2011.
- Objectified Self, Objectified Relationships: The Sexualization of Childhood Promotes Social Injustice. In Promoting Social Justice for Young Children. Beatrice S. Fennimore & A. Lin Goodwin (Eds.), New York: Springer, 2011.
- In Harms Way. Or Are They? War, Social Justice, and Young Children in the United States. In Promoting Social Justice for Children: Facing Critical Challenges to Early Learning and Development, Beatrice S. Fennimore & A. Lin Goodwin (Eds.). 2011. [With J. Van Hoorn].
- War: U.S. Children and Parental Deployment. In The Encyclopedia of Peace Psychology, Daniel J. Christie (Ed.). Wiley/Blackwells. 2011 [with J. Van Hoorn].
- "Common Core Standards: One Size Doesn't Fit All." Boston Sunday Globe Op Ed. April 18, 2010. (N. Carlsson-Paige, Co-Author). [Available at: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/04/18/one_size_doesnt_fit_all/]
- Danger, Danger Everywhere: Growing Up in a Culture of Fear. Exchange Magazine-in Beginnings Section on "Safety and Risk." March/April 2010.
- The Impact of Violence and Disaster on Children and How to Help Them Heal and Thrive Afterwards. In Rebuilding Sustainable Communities for Children and Their Families After Disasters: A Global Survey, Adenrele Awotona (Ed.). Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2010.
- Remote Control Childhood: Combating the Hazards of Media Culture in School. New Horizons in Education, Journal of the Hong Kong Teachers' Association. Special Issue on Media Literacy, Guofang Wan, Guest Editor. Vol. 58, No. 3, December 2010.
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind. Or Is It? The Impact of the War in Iraq on Children in the United States. Childhood Education: August 2009. Int'l. Theme Issue on Impact of War, Terrorism, and Disaster on Children's Wellbeing and Development. (With Judy Van Hoorn). [Available at: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Out+of+sight%2c+out+of+mind.+Or+is+it%3f+The+impact+of+the+war+on...-a0206851501]
- Good Guidance: Dealing with Today's Sexualized Childhood. Teaching Young Children (NAEYC). October 2009. [Available at: http://www.naeyc.org/files/tyc/file/TYC_V3N1_Levin.pdf]
- Problem Solving Deficit Disorder: Creative Versus Programmed Play in Korea & the US. In Where Do Children Play? E. Goodenough (Ed.). Detroit: Wayne U. Press, 2007.
- Compassion Deficit Disorder? Consuming Culture, Consuming Kids, Objectified Relationships. Risking Human Security: Attachment and Public Life. M. Green (Ed.). London, UK: Karnac Press, 2008.
Selected Major Keynote Presentations and Trainings
- Men Teach New England Symposium. Keynote Address: "Play Today: What's Going On & What Can We Do about It? Wheelock College. January.
- Berry Brook School. "Beyond Remote-Controlled Childhood Staff Development Training Day." Duxbury, MA. February.
- Wheelock College. Sabbatical Research Presentation. "TEACHERS SPEAK OUT: How School Reform Mandates Are Failing Low-Income Young Children." March.
- Wheelock College Alumni Symposium. "TEACHERS SPEAK OUT: How School Reform Mandates Are Failing Low-Income Young Children." Wheelock College. April.
- 125th Anniversary Celebration Banquet of Association for Early Childhood Education International. (Invited Talk). "Lucy Wheelock: Pioneer in Early Childhood Whose Ideas and Vision Live On at Wheelock College Today." Washington, DC. April.
- World Forum on Early Care and Education. Panel Facilitator: "Building Resilience to Help Young Children Deal with Trauma from Natural Disasters, Political Turmoil or Family Conflict: Lessons from Around the World." Auckland, New Zealand. May 5-10.
- Wheelock College. David Hawkins' Curiosity & Learning Conference. October.
- KEYNOTE: "Talking to Children about Their Play....More Important Now then Ever."
- Workshop: "Play Dough Play in School Today?"
- National Assoc. for the Education of Young Children Annual Conference. Atlanta, GA. November 15-18.
- "The Play-Learning Connection: Why It Is More Important Now Than Ever."
- Defending the Early Years Special Meeting: "Hope to Promote Appropriate Early Childhood Practice in Today's Standards-Based Environment."
- Family Child Care Association. Bellerica, MA. October.
- Half-Day Workshop: "Facilitating Toddler Play in Family Child Care Settings."
- Fairfield County Assoc. for the Ed of Young Children. "The War Play Dilemma: What's the Problem and What Can Teachers & Parents Do about It?" Norwalk, CT. October
- Community Cooperative Nursery School. "The War Play Dilemma: What's the Problem and What Can Teachers & Parents Do about It?" Norwalk, CT. October.
- North Shore of Chicago Preschool-Kindergarten Summit. Keynote Address & Workshop. February 11. Keynote Address & Workshop: "Endangered Play, Endangered Development: What Research Says about the Importance of Play in the 21st Century." February 11.
- Sonoma State University. Countywide Conference. Rohnert, Park, CA, March. Keynote Address: "Endangered Play, Endangered Development: Supporting Children's Play in This Changing World." Workshop: "Promoting Play Today: Special Focus on Low Income Children and Gender Issues.
- Sonoma State University. Early Childhood Programs & Diversity Center Programs. College-wide Lecture : "So Sexy So Soon! So Violent So Soon! How Gender Messages In Today's Society Impact Healthy Development, Behavior and Relationships AND What We Can Do about It." Rohnert, Park, CA, March.
- California AEYC Annual Conference. Keynote Address & Workshop: "Remote-Control Teaching/Remote-Control Play-What's Going On and What Can We Do about It?" Pasadena, CA. April.
- Quinsigamond Community College Community Talk for Teachers & Parents: "Changing Times, Changing Play: Why Play Is Even More Important in the 21st Century." Worcester, MA. April.
- New Haven, CT AEYC. Community Talk for Teachers & Parents: "Endangered Play, Endangered Development: Why Play Is More Important Now than Ever in the Lives of Children." May
- New Hampshire Services' Annual Caring for Our Children Conference. Keynote Address: "Beyond Remote-Controlled Teaching & Learning: The Special Challenges of Promoting Optimal Learning & Development in Today's Media-Saturated World. Portsmouth, N.H., March.
- New England Child Life Association Semi-Annual Meeting. "Practicing Child Life in a Non Remote-Controlled Way: How Changed the Field & What We Can Do about It." Boston. March.
- Greenwich, CT PTA. April.
- Community-wide Parent Talk: "Beyond Remote-Controlled Childhood."
- Talk for Early Childhood Professionals: "Beyond Remote-Controlled Childhood."
- University of Oklahoma. Tulsa, Oklahoma. April.
- 4th International Infant & Toddler Conf. "Creating the Foundation for a Global Future.
- Keynote Address. "Beyond Remote-Controlled Childhood: The Special Challenges of Promoting Optimal Learning & development in Today's Media-Saturated World."
- Preconference Master Class. "Beyond Remote-Controlled Infants & Toddlers: Challenges Created by Media & Technology Right from the Start & What We Can Do about It?"
- Okla. U.-Tulsa Early Childhood Ed Institute Seed-Sowers Evening Community-Wide Lecture.
- Quinsigamond Community College. Community-Wide Talk: "What Today's Sexualized and Biased Media and Popular Culture Teaches Children about Gender and Diversity and What We Can Do about It." April.
- Northern Ireland Early Years Organization 50th Anniversary Conference. June.
- Keynote Address: "Challenges & Opportunities Facing Today's Young Children: How Contemporary Society Affects Development, Learning & Behavior."
- Preconference Day Course: "Challenges & Opportunities Facing Today's Young Children: How Contemporary Society Sexualizes Childhood & Affects Gender Roles."
- Wheelock College. The Science Education of David Hawkins Conference: Cultivating "the Scientist" in Every Child. September. Workshop: "Clay Boats." September.
- Kurn Hattin Homes for Children. 24th Annual Conference for Northeast Professionals. Full-Day Workshop. "So Sexy So Soon." Williamsburg, VT. October.
- Northeastern University. Strong Women, Strong Girls School Volunteer Program & Book Club. Workshop: "Tools for Helping Middle School-Aged Girls Grow Up in Today's Sexualized Culture." Boston, MA. November.
- Fayerweather Street School. Annual Grandparents Day. Keynote: "The Value of a Progressive FSS Education for the Real World: What the Research Tells Me as a Professor of Education at Wheelock College & What My Own Experience Tells Me as the Parent of a 1996 FSS Graduate." Cambridge, MA. November.
- National Assoc. for the Education of Young Children. Orlando, Florida. November.
- Defending the Early Years Panel Session: "Cognitive Development and the Challenge of Common Core State Standards." Facilitator: D. Levin. Panelists (DEY Advisory Board Members): Constance Kamii, Lilian Katz, Joan Almon.
- Play, Policy & Practice Special Interest Panel Session. "Advocating for Play in Early Childhood Education: Building Effective Strategies." Facilitator: J. Johnson. Panelists: J. Almon, Dorothy Sluss, & D. Levin.
- Education Writers Association Conference on "Building a Child's Mind: Inside Early Childhood Education." "Panel: Early Childhood and Common Core - Why Should We Be Concerned." New Orleans, LA. Feb.
- Conference on "Traditions and Futures in Education": Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the German Society for Research in Education. Humboldt University. Berlin, Germany. Symposium: "Between enhancing media literacy and preventing media addiction - educating children in the digital age." Prof. Diane Levin (Keynote). March.
- Toward Sustainability in Early Childhood Education in the 21st Century. Amman Jordan. Keynote Presentation (Electronically Presented from Boston). "Beyond Remote Controlled Childhood: A Global Issue for Children." March.
- Maine Association for the Education of Young Children. Portland, Maine. Annual State Conference Keynote. "Beyond Remote-Controlled Childhood." April 5.
- 38th Annual Early Childhood Conference, Concordia University, Chicago. Keynote: "Beyond Remote-Controlled Teaching & Learning: The Special Challenges of Promoting Optimal Learning & development in Today's Media-Saturated World. August.
- Southern New Hampshire Services' Annual Caring for Our Children Conference. Nashua. Keynote: "Beyond Remote-Controlled Teaching & Learning: The Special Challenges of Promoting Optimal Learning & Development in Today's Media-Saturated World. September
- Montclair, NJ Early Childhood Community. "Beyond Remote-Controlled Childhood." October.
- Child Life Association Webinar. "Promoting Quality Play in Medical Settings in a Media-Saturated World. October.
- National Institutes of Health-Child Care Board. Lunch & Learn Webinar. "Children and Technology: Helping Parents Have a Lens for Making the Right Choices." December.
- Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood Summit @ Wheelock. March.
- Alaska Pacific University, Anchorage, Alaska. Alumni Conference
- University of Delaware Laboratory Preschool. 4th Annual Jane Davidson Forum on Play.
- National Assoc. for the Education of Young Children. November. Washington, DC Featured Conference Session: "Beyond Remote Control Childhood: Teaching Young Children in the Media Age."
- West Virginia 4H & Family Extension Agents Association Conference. April.
- University of Peloponnese, Nafplio, Greece. May
- Florida AEYC Annual Conference. October.
- Montessori Training Center International. Denver, CO. April
- Vermont Association for the Education of Young Children Spring Speaker Series. Burlington, VT. May
- World Forum on Early Care and Education. Honolulu, Hawaii. May
- Wisconsin Early Childhood Association (WECA) Madison, WI Sept
- Michigan Montessori Association, Michigan State Univ., Troy, MI
- Institute of Technology Sligo: National Early Childhood Conference
- National Association for the Education of Young Children, Orlando, Florida Nov. Invited Feature Presentation: "Compassion Deficit Disorder: A Special Challenge.
- American Montessori Association Annual Conference. Boston. March.
- New England Head Start Annual Conference. Newport, RI. April.
- Akron, Ohio. Summit County Violence and Injury Prevention Coalition Professional Symposium. April.
- Romney, West Virginia. Coalition of Organizations Leading Children's Programs. April.
- 2010 Prevention of Early Learning Failure Conference. Saginaw Valley State Univ., MI. August.
- Capitol District Child Care Council Annual Education Conference. Troy, NY. Oct.
- Mount St. Vincent University. Halifax, Nova Scotia, CAN. October
- Southern Arizona Association for the Education of Young Children Annual Conf., Tucson, AZ. Nov.
- National Association for the Education of Young Children Annual Conference. Anaheim, CA. Nov.
Media Interviews & Mentions
- BOSTON GLOBE SUNDAY MAGAZINE. Joanna Weiss. Important Info for Parents & Teachers to Share throughout the Year. September.
- SUSUN WEED'S WOMEN'S RADIO. September 19.
- SUNNY SIDE OF THE STREET. Tod Gross, Host. New TV, Newton, MA. August 12. Half-hour interview on Defending the Early Years & Teachers Resisting Unhealthy Children's Entertainment. Available at: http://www.newtv.org/video/sunnyside/Defending-the-Early-Years-and-Teachers-Resisting-Unhealthy-Children-s-Entertainment/
- NBC's Parent Toolkit for March. "Is Earlier Better?" Esta Pratt-Kielley. March 21.
- YOUR PARENTING MOJO.com. "Why We Shouldn't Ban War Play" with Jen Lumanlan, March. http://yourparentingmojo.com/warplay/
- Slate's Parenting Podcast. "Mom & Dad Are Fighting." Gabriel Roth & Allison Benedikt (Co-Hosts). "Opposite-Sex Friendships-Why they seem to disappear in early elementary school and resume later, why they might be valuable, and how to encourage them." Feb
- ECEPOLICYWORKS.COM. The Power of Their Voices: Early Childhood Teachers Talk School Reform. Susan Ochshorn. http://ecepolicyworks.com/the-power-of-their-voices-early-childhood-teachers-talk-school-reform/, January 19, 2017. Also appeared in Diane Ravitch's Daily Blog. January 31.
- NPR. Interview for book on parenting in the Media Age. Anya Kamenez. NPR Educ Reporter. Jan. 2016
- THE NATION MAGAZINE. How to Talk to Tween-Age Children about Violence in the News? Liza Featherstone. January 15.
- YAHOO PARENTS WEBSITE. Why Parents Worry More about Sex in the Media than Violence? Beth Greenfield. December 7. https://t.e2ma.net/click/axk7vc/6xi3m9c/6hqq9u
- 88.9 FM WERS. Emerson College Radio. "You Are Here." How changes in public schools are affecting children as they grow older. Rebecca Gonzalez Abrego. November 7.
- Boston Parents Paper. How parents deal with censoring media content children see. Brian Spero. November Issue.
- Slate Magazine. Dealing with children's play with violence. Melinda Wenner, Parenting Advice Columnist. June
- German TV show on Frederick Froebel. Interview on Lucy Wheelock and Wheelock's connection to Froebel. May 20.
- Stamford Advocate. "Common Core Jeopardizes Foundation of Learning." Wendy Leckner, Columnist. May 1. http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Wendy-Lecker-Common-Core-jeopardizes-foundation-6236981.php
- WBUR. "On Point with Tom Ashbrook. "TV for Toddlers? It's Happening." (Radio) April. http://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/04/01/babyfirst-tv-parenting-infants-television
- American Profile Magazine. Heather Donahue, Editor. How to Raise Kind Kids. April 5. http://americanprofile.com/articles/how-to-raise-kind-kids/
- Youth Today. "What Happened to Summertime Play?" Implications of changing play on how parents should plan children's summer activities and schedules. Stell Simonton, Staff Reporter. March.
- All Africa. The New Times. Nelson Mwesigye. "Rwanda: Parents, Teachers' Role in Nurturing Children." March 11.
- Marketplace (Weekend). Amy Scott, Education Reporter. The Pros & Cons of Universal PreK. February.
- Good News Baltimore.Org Sexualization of girls. How GEM (Girls Empowerment Mission) counteracts the harm. February.
- YAHOO Parenting Website. "What Does the ‘Sports Illustrated' Cover Teach Our Kids?" Jennifer O'Neill. Feb. 6, 2015. https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/what-does-the-sports-illustrated-cover-teach-our-110267997562.html
- St. Louis Magazine. How to talk to children about the media and media violence. Charlene Oldham. January.
- Parenting Magazine. "Preventing Brain Drain" [with 5 & 6 year olds during the summer months.] Rebecca Delaney.
- CabinetReport.com. "Syrian Execution Set Off Debate Over Current Events Lessons." [Dealing with violence in the news with children.] Carrie Marovich. Sept. 15, 2014. https://www.cabinetreport.com/curriculum-instruction/syrian-execution-sets-off-debate-over-current-events-lessons
- Christian Science Monitor. "2014 Kids Count Report on the State of US Children." Caroline Kelly.
- New York Times Science Section. "Children's E-Books versus Real Books: Does It Matter?" Doug Quenqua.
- Yahoo! Shine. 3-year-old's mother tweezing her eyebrows -Implications re: Diane Levin's book So Sexy So Soon. Beth Greenfield.
- Washington Post. Video Game Industry Pushes Ratings Education Amid Debate about Violence. Hayley Tsukayama.
- WCCO/CBS Radio. Minneapolis, MN. Talking with children and adolescents about the Boston Marathon Bombing. Jordana Green.
- New York Times. Marketing to get children influence parents' purchases. Matt Richtel.
- Family Circle. Girls Growing Up too Fast. Deborah Swaney.
- Christian Science Monitor. Stephanie Hanes. "Toddlers on Touch Screens: Parenting the 'App Generation." October 20, 2013.
- The Loop (website: theloop.ca). Toronto, Canada. Neil Hedley. "Are you Raising a Violent Kid? How to Intervene NOW? August 2, 2013. http://www.theloop.ca/living/life/parenting/article/-/a/2628506/Are-you-raising-a-violent-kid-How-to-intervene-NOW-
- The Washington Post Answer Sheet. Valerie Strauss. "The disturbing shift underway in early childhood classrooms." August 2, 2013.
- WTIP Community Radio. Grand Marais, Minnesota. "Youth Radio." Topic: Are Children Growing Up To Fast? An Interview with Dr. Diane Levin." July 18, 2013 http://www.prx.org/pieces/100405-are-children-growing-up-too-fast-an-interview-wit
- Metro Boston. UFC dodges claims by Boston activists that MMA is unfit for eyes of children. Matt Burke. August 15, 2013. http://www.metro.us/boston/sports/2013/08/14/ufc-dodges-claims-by-boston-activists-that-mma-is-unfit-for-eyes-of-children/#sthash.A7B6kUk5.dpuf
- WBZ TV. "Boston City Council President Wants Kids Banned From UFC Events." August 13, 2013. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/14/boston-city-council-president-wants-kids-banned-from-ufc-events/
- Boston Magazine. Steve Annear. Story about Resolution submitted to Boston City Council by City Council President, Stephen Murphy, to ban children from attending Live Cage Fighting Events in Boston. "Group Goes Fist-to-Fist With Ultimate Fighting, Seeks Ban On Minors Attending Matches." August 2, 2013 http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/08/02/boston-ban-ufc-fighting-under-18/
- Christian Science Monitor Cover Story. Stephanie Hanes. "Toddlers to Tweens: Relearning How to Play." January 22, 2012. http://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/print/content/view/print/449876
- Boston Herald. Christine McConville. Newton teacher arrested for child pornography.
- Scholastic Parent & Child Magazine. Julie Halpert. "The Right Fit: Choosing the Right Preschool for Your Child." April 2012.
- Boston Herald. Christine McConville. "Phoebe Prince's Friends, Family Laud 'Reallly Important' Film" [Bully]. April 12, 2012. http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061123910&format=text
- Boston Herald. Christine McConville. "Child Porn Arrests 'Tip of the Iceberg." April 17, 2012. http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20220417arrests_tip_of_the_iceberg
- ABC News. Mikaela Conley. "Medical Unit: The Real Life Ukrainian Barbie Doll." April 23, 2012.
- CNN Living (from Parenting.com). Deborah Pike Olsen. "Having the Sex Talk: Is Your Tween Too Sexy Too Soon. May 31. http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/30/living/tweens-sexy-too-soon/#
- Anderson Cooper Show-CNN. Guest blogger to accompany the airing of program, "Little Girls Growing Up Too Fast.
- Parenting Magazine-Shelley Preston. Interview of article about the book: "It's OK Not to Share" by Heather Shumaker.
- USA Today Parenting & Kids Health Magazine. Advice for parents on working with teachers. Omar Sacirbey.
- NECN Broadside. Impact of media violence on youth violence; post Newtown, CT tragedy.
- Fenway-Backbay Patch. Facing the Screen Dilemma.
- "Your Time with Kim Iversen." Children's Beauty Pageants. [Entercom Communications nationally syndicated radio.]
- Redbook. Rachael Combe. "Little Girls Gone Wild: Why Daughters Are Acting To Sexy Too Soon." Feb. issue. www.redbookmag.com/kids-family/advice/sexualization-of-young-girls?click=main_sr
- Fox Business Network. Kate Rogers. Promoting "modesty" in the age of sexualized childhood. www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/02/01/teaching-teens-modesty
- Parenting Magazine. "Having the Sex Talk: Is Your Tween Too Sexy Too Soon?" by Deborah Pike Olsen. March. www.parenting.com/article/sex-talk-tweens
- Richmond Times Dispatch. LIFE NOTES: Too much, too soon for kids." By Stacy Hawkins Adams.
- Canadian Broadcasting Corp. "The Current"Radio Show. "Kids Cosmetic Surgery." May 18.
- Marie Claire Australian Edition. Courtney Sullivan. Beauty Pageants' Impact on Girls. In press.
- The Guardian. Charlotte R. Andrews. "Rhianna and the Rise of Raunch Pop." May 12. www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/may/12/rihanna-raunch-pop?INTCMP=SRCH .
- New York Post. Heather Madden. Girls dressing like "little women".
- Whale Shark Media. Andrea Pyros. Girls, beauty and pressure to look right: How parents can navigate the pressures and when to say "yes" or "no".
- Indianapolis Star. Bill Stanczykiewicz. Marketing sex and sexiness to girls.
- New York Post. Heather Madden. Girls dressing like "little women". (Sun., July 10)
- The Insider. Andrea Pyros. Girls, beauty and pressure to look right: How parents can navigate the pressures and when to say "yes" or "no".
- BAM Radio Network. "Body, Mind & Child," Host, Rae Pica. "Beyond Appearance: Helping Girls Find Their Self Worth." www.jackstreet.com/jackstreet/WMBK.LevinOrenstein.cfm
- Huffington Post. Rae Pica. "Teaching Girls They're More than a Pretty Face." August 11. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rae-pica/teaching-girls-theyre-mor_b_924381.html
- Best of You Today (bestofyoutoday.com). "In an Age of Children Maturing Too Quickly, Is It Possible to Stop the Clock of Innocence?"
- Portal Delas (portaldelas.com). Brazil. Camila de Lira Colantonio. Article re: French child model, Thylane Bordeau and the sexualization of children.
- ABC News. Mikaela Conley. "Pedophile's Delight? 'Toddlers and Tiaras' Star, 4, Dons Fake Boobs, Butt." Sept. 5.
- FM News 101.1 Chicago. 4-year-old Dolly Parten Imitator on Toddlers & Tiaras. Sept. 6.
- WortFM Radio. "Your Turn." Jeannette Paulson. Madison, Wisc. Sept. 18
- Wisconsin Public Radio. "Kathleen Dunn Show." Sept. 19. Media culture and sexualization.
- ABC News. Mikaela Conley. 3-year old dressed as prostitute on Toddlers & Tiaras. Sept. 9
- Deseret News Salt Lake City. Lois Collins & Sara Lenz. "The End of Innocence: The Cost of Sexualizing Kids. Sept. 18. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700180194/The-end-of-innocence-The-cost-of-sexualizing-kids.html
- Deseret News Salt Lake City. Lois Collins & Sara Lenz. "Sexualizing Kids: No Child Left Behind-and Fighting Back." Sept. 18. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700180370/Sexualizing-kids-No-child-left-behind-2-and-fighting-back.html
- Madison Common. Mario Koran. "Diane Levin to Speak on the Sexualization of Childhood." Sept. 20.
- Christian Science Monitor. Stephanie Hanes. "Little girls or little women? The Disney princess effect." Sept. 24.
- "The Exchange" radio show. New Hampshire Public Radio. Sexualization of girls in the media and how parents are dealing with it. October 25.
- The Charlotte Observer. Christina Bolling. How girls and their parents can navigate the rocky road of today's sexualized childhood.
- 101.9 FM Radio News, New York City and Chicago. Effects of Disney Princesses on young girls. Interviewed for 3 Disney Princess news spots. Aired: October 11. FM 101.9 News in NYC and Chicago: Interview with Jennifer Sendrow about Princess Halloween costumes.
- Community Health Magazine. Emily Schmitt. "Too Hot for Teens: how to Manage Your Child's Exposure to Our Sexual Society." October 2011
- Boston Globe. Joel Brown. "At 50, Phantom Tollbooth Lives On [at the Wheelock Family Theatre]. October 21, 2011.
- Newsweek. Beth Whitehouse. November 6, 2011. Sexualization of girls clothing.
- CTV (Canada). Marcia McMillian (Host), Sexualized Halloween costumes at younger and younger ages. www.raisingplayfultots.com. Melitsa Avila (England). TRUCE 2011-12 Toy Selection Guide for the holiday season.
- New York Post. Christina Amoroso. "Primp My Tot: Are These Grade-School Gals Really Ready for Mani-Pedis?" Nov. 30. http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/primp_my_tot_FIQDBa8GPajgbP1Vi33LJP/
- Mothers for a Human Future. Blog Talk Radio. Enola Aird. The State of Children Today. Nov. 16.
- naplesnews.com. Jaine Carter. "Choices: Parents, Grandparents Should Shop Carefully for Children in Their Lives. Nov. 21. http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/nov/21/choices-parents-grandparents-should-shop-for-in/
- Slate Magazine. Farhad Manjoo, Technology Editor. "Author Conflicted by 'The Terrifying Awesomeness of Nerf Guns.'" http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/daniel-zimmerman/author-conflicted-by-the-terrifying-awesomeness-of-nerf-guns/
- The Marc Amazon Show - 102.7 WEBN FM Radio. Dec. 21.Play with toy guns-including Nerf guns.
- Hartford Current Newspaper. Grace Merritt. Story on new survey reports 70% of CT HS seniors report having had sexual intercourse.
- Business Week. Chris Prentice. "NERF: Hasbro's Play in the Toy Arms Race. July 26. http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2010/tc20100726_811886.htm
- NPR's "Living On Earth. Sean Powers. "Lessons Young Children Can Learn from the Gulf Oil Disaster." July 12. http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=10-P13-00030&segmentID=3
- Emily Rooney Radio Show. WGBH. Sexualized fashions being marketed to young girls. July 8
- "Culture Shock," News Talk Radio, Ireland. Fionn Davenport. Disney opening ESL schools for young children in China. July 8.
- Boston Globe. Participated in panel of experts helping Globe frame a series of articles on the impact of new technology on the family. July 7.
- MSNBC.com. "Mom's Homeroom." The importance of friends and friendships in the lives of young children and the modern-day stressors that affect them.
- LiveScience.com. Wynne Parry. August 29. "Battling the Boys: Educators Grapple with Violent Play."
- Oregonian Newspaper Parent Blog. Amy Wang. How parents can deal with the sexualization of childhood with their children.
- WebMD. Denise Mann. Release of the American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement on Sexuality, Contraception, and the Media. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20100830/parents-schools-should-talk-to-kids-about-sex
- TD Magazine. Pete Fernbough. Interview re fashion industry's relationship with toy/doll industry and the impact of the relationship on girls.
- New York Post. Stella McClear. Sexy children's Halloween costumes.
- Lexington Patch. Denise Dube. "Forum Explores What's Behind Bullying and Bad Behavior in Children."
- Arizona Daily Star. Patty Machelor. Story about talk on Violence Prevention for Southern Arizona AEYC. http://azstarnet.com/lifestyles/relationships-and-special-occasions/article_f63de07c-4df2-5990-999a-0d0b942e2657.html
- New England Cable News (NECN). Steve Aveson. "So Sexy So Soon: Are Children at Risk?" Nov. 15. http://www.necn.com/pages/landing?blockID=353604
- Channel 4 News-Tucson. Martha Vazquez. Live interview on "So Sexy So Soon"-news magazine show.
- KGO Radio. Gil Gross Program. San Francisco, CA. Sexualized clothing for young girls. December 17.
- Boston Globe. Maria Cramer. Sunday, Dec. 19. "Disarming the Toy Box: Providence Program Destroys Children's Toy Guns. http://www.boston.com/news/local/rhode_island/articles/2010/12/19/providence_program_destroys_childrens_toy_guns/?page=full
- Times Live. Barry Ronge. "Fallen Stars" (End of Disney Princess Movies) http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle/article820969.ece/Fallen-Stars
- 2013 Edgar Klugman Award for Continued Leadership in Advocating for Children's Right to Play. Play Policy and Practice Interest Forum of NAEYC.
- 2010 Edward H. Ladd Award for Academic Excellence and Service. Wheelock College.
- 2009 Family Advocate of the Year Award. Boston Parents Paper.
- 2003 Abigail Eliot Award. Boston Association for the Education of Young Children. For contributions to children, families and the early childhood field.