Information for Wheelock College Students Applying for Licensure

A number of Wheelock's undergraduate and graduate programs can prepare you for professional licensure. Licensure is NOT automatically awarded upon completion of a preparation program, but Wheelock does offer a variety of resources to help students prepare for the licensure process in their chosen field.

Teacher Licensure

Educator licensure is essential for employment in all PreK-12 public schools and requested by most private schools. Teacher candidates seeking licenses for grades PreK-12  must apply for licensure that is issued by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). Candidates seeking employment for infant/toddler, preschool lead teacher and director credentials apply on their own for a certificate from the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC).

Learn more about Teacher Licensure

Learn more about MTELs (Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure)

Social Work Licensure

If practicing social work in the state of Massachusetts, licensure is required. A Master of Social Work (MSW) degree earned from a CSWE-accredited school is required for LCSW (Licensed Certified Social Worker) and LICSW (Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker).

Learn more about Social Work Licensure

Child Life Specialist Licensure

Certification as a Child Life Specialist is available through the Child Life Council (CLC). To become a Certified Child Life Specialist, a student must pass an examination that is administered by the CLC.

Learn more about Child Life Licensure

inspire a world of good

200 Riverway, Boston, Massachusetts 02215
Contact Us | 617-879-2000

© 2017 Wheelock College is a registered trademark.