Interview Questions-Social Work
Office of Career Services
Activities Building West
Current Students, use MyWheelock to make an appointment. (click on Appointments to search the Career Services calendar for an open appointment.)
Alumni, contact Director Kelly Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-879-2056
Below are questions typically asked of social work students and alumni.
Disclaimer: these are just some questions that could be asked and should not be taken literally as the questions to expect. Interview questions vary depending on the interviewer or organization.
- Tell me about yourself?
- Why did you choose the social work field? Why Wheelock's program?
- Why do you want to work here/be placed here for your practicum?
- What would you like to learn through this job/placement?
- Why should you be considered as an intern for this site?
- What do you expect from a supervisor?
- Why are you interested in the social work field and what are your areas or populations of interest?
- What are your post-graduation plans?
- Tell me about your.... [Current placement or job or anything else listed on your resume]
- What have you found most challenging in your current placement/job? Most rewarding?
- Tell me about your approach to working with clients?
- What strengths do you bring to the social work field?
- What social work skills have you developed/mastered? Please provide an example of how you have used those skills.
- What is your greatest weakness or what will be your greatest challenge as a social worker?
- Describe a problem that arose during your current field placement. How did you resolve it?
- Describe a conflict or difference of opinion you had with a former supervisor or co-worker. How did you resolve the conflict?
- How do you handle deadlines for multiple commitments such as class, jobs, family, and placements?
- What do you do to relieve stress?
- Be ready to talk about experiences that include advocacy, client/community education, program planning/oversight.
Review this article for more question examples: socialwork.career