International Student Services
Congratulations on your decision to study at Wheelock! For many international students, studying abroad proves to be a transformative experience. Wheelock College is happy to support international students no matter where you are in the process, while ensuring you get the best international experience. If you have immigration-related questions, please contact International Student Services Advisor Thuy Truong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Initial steps for students who are outside the U.S.
1. Submit all Wheelock application materials online. See the full Admissions requirements.
2. When you have been accepted to Wheelock College, you need to deposit to reserve your place. There are two easy ways to deposit: Please call between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Boston time at 617-879-2236 or email Michael Discolo at email@example.com for specific wiring instructions.
3. Wheelock will send you your Form I-20. Read it carefully to ensure all your information is correct and review the Immigration letter that comes with your document. If you see mistakes on your Form I-20, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
4. Pay your SEVIS fee. Print receipt and keep it in a safe place. Get instructions and pay the SEVIS fee.
5. Make an appointment with the U.S. Consulate
6. Go to your appointment with the U.S. Consulate Officer. Suggested documents to bring with you to the appointment:
- A valid passport that goes 6 months beyond your program end date
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
- Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
- Photo - You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one colored 2X2 inch photo.
- Your Form I-20 that you have received from Wheelock College
- Proof of funds for your studies/bank statements
Additional recommended documentations to bring with you:
- Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from previous schools you had attended
- Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school
- Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of your course of study
7. Make arrangements to arrive in the U.S. no more than 30 days before Wheelock's start date.
8. Check in with Wheelock's International Student Services Advisor. Email for appointment (email@example.com). Bring your I-20 and valid passport with F-1 visa to this meeting.
Canadian citizens are NOT required to apply for the F-1 visa. However, they still have to follow the rest of the procedures and enter the U.S. with a valid I-20 Form.
Initial steps for students who are inside the U.S.
- Apply through the Admissions Office. See the full Admissions requirements.
- When you have been accepted to Wheelock College, you need to deposit to reserve your place. There are two easy ways to deposit: Please call between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Boston time at 617-879-2236 or email Michael Discolo at firstname.lastname@example.org for specific wiring instructions.
- If you are already in the U.S. at another academic institution on F-1 visa status AND you wish to stay in the same visa status, print, fill out, sign Wheelock's Transfer Release Form and scan and email it to your current DSO at your current school. They will then send your SEVIS Record to Wheelock College.
- Receive the I-20 Form from Wheelock's Designated School Official (DSO) and carefully review the Immigration Packet that comes with your document. If you see mistakes on your Form I-20 please contact email@example.com immediately.
- If you are currently in the U.S. on another visa category, please see this Change of Visa Status web page. You must already be an F-1 student or another immigration status that allows for full-time study before enrolling in classes at Wheelock. If you change your visa status to F-1, you will also need to pay the SEVIS FEE.
- If you plan to travel to Boston to attend Wheelock College, make sure you have travel documents ready (original Form I-20 and passport with valid visa).
- Arrive in Boston
- Check in with Wheelock's DSO. Bring your I-20 and valid passport with F-1 visa to this meeting. Email for an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any immigration related questions or concerns, please feel free to email email@example.com in our office to speak with an advisor.