Annual Community Dialogue
May 24, 2016
Children as the Focus: Promoting Quality in Early Education and Care
Wheelock College began hosting the Annual Community Dialogue on Early Education and Care in 2005. This free event brings together state administrators, providers, policymakers, educators, and many others seeking to improve the quality and effectiveness of early childhood education.
Wheelock's 10th Annual Community Dialogue, held May 24, 2016, focused on ways to promote quality in early education and care. At the conference, we interviewed attendees on camera about the importance of early childhood education, how to best promote quality care, and the role that higher ed institution can play.
8:30 a.m. - Doors open for registration and a light breakfast
9:30 a.m. - Annual Community Dialogue begins
- Presentation by Winifred M. Hagan, Ed.D., Associate Commissioner for Academic Affairs and Student Success, MA Department of Higher Education
10:05 a.m. - Interactive Dialogues
10:05 - 10:50 a.m.
- Approaches to Play and Learning
- Cognitive Development and General Knowledge
- Language and Communication Development
- Workforce Development and Compensation
11:00 - 11:50 a.m.
- Physical Development and Well-Being
- Social and Emotional Development
- Family Engagement
- Policy Buzz
11:50 a.m. - Lunch
- Presentation by Sunindiya Bhalla, Senior Director, Community Impact, United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley; Kaori Hattori de Panepinto, Educational Leadership and Management Consultant; Cellissa Hoyt, Project Director, State Early Learning Alliance of New Hampshire; and Lauren Wool, Senior Director Community Impact, United Way of the Greater Seacoast
- Remarks by Marie St. Fleur, Esq., President and CEO, Bessie Tartt Wilson Initiative for Children
1:00 p.m. - Afternoon Activity/Reporting Back
1:30 p.m. - Afternoon Panel
- Jim Peyser, Secretary, Massachusetts Department of Education
- Thomas L. Weber, Commissioner, Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care
- Carlos E. Santiago, Commissioner, Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
2:30 p.m. - Closing Remarks
- Jeri Robinson, Vice-President, Early Childhood Initiatives, Boston Children's Museum
3 p.m. - Annual Community Dialogue concludes