New Traub Courtyard Provides Inviting Gathering Space
June 15, 2010
On a sunny afternoon in June, members of the Wheelock community gathered in a space outside the Wheelock Family Theatre to dedicate a beautiful new courtyard in memory of faculty member Dr. Jeri Faith Traub. For 14 years, Dr. Traub taught in Wheelock's Special Education Program, where her many talents, intellectual strengths, and kindnesses had a lasting effect on the lives of her students and colleagues.
Ringed by benches and seasonal flowering plants, the courtyard provides an inviting community gathering space for faculty, staff, students, and theater patrons to relax, talk, and enjoy the outdoors. A focal point of the courtyard is David Bakalar's sculpture The Dance. The courtyard and benches were made possible by a generous gift in loving memory of Dr. Traub by her husband, Walter B. Einstein.
During the dedication ceremony, Mr. Einstein and Dr. Traub's parents, family, friends, and students heard Wheelock faculty members John Crapps, Stephanie Cox Suarez, Kathy McDonough, Felicity Crawford, and Cindy Sypher-Lopez offer recollections about their much-loved and respected colleague. Mr. Einstein offered his own heartfelt tribute to his wife before joining President Jackie Jenkins-Scott as she delivered the official dedication remarks.
A plaque in the courtyard is inscribed: This Courtyard Is Dedicated to Honoring the Life and Work of Dr. Jeri Faith Traub, 1953-2009. Her Devotion to Teaching and Her Generosity of Heart Are Gratefully Remembered by Her Many Students, Faculty, Colleagues, and Friends. Given in Her Memory by Her Loving Husband, Walter B. Einstein.