Below are resources to help you identify and locate both print and online books in our collections. If you have any questions, stop by the Service Desk, contact 617-879-2222, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FLO Catalog
- Our catalog allows you to search our print, online, and children's collections.
- Course Reserves
- Check here to see if your professor has placed required readings on reserve at the Library.
- ebrary Academic Complete
- Wide-ranging source for books online, accessible anytime and anywhere for current Wheelock faculty, staff, and students.
Use the search box above to search ONLY for children's books. Wheelock has fiction and non-fiction titles for children from birth through eighth grade for use in coursework, fieldwork, and for your own enjoyment.
Reference books provide authoritative information to help you gain an understanding of your topic and to generate ideas. You can browse our print reference collection on Floor 1 of the Library or use the links below to access our online reference collections, including: Credo Reference, Oxford Reference, Sage Knowledge, Oxford Art, and Gale Virtual Reference Library.
Locating Your Book on the Shelf
Once you find a book in our catalog, use the call number to locate your book on the shelf. See the Floor Guide to determine where your book is located in the Library.
In the Dewey Decimal System, call numbers have two parts as illustrated in the example below. The first number indicates the subject and the second part, consisting of letters and numbers, identifies the author and title. The classification numbers are consistent throughout collections, so for example materials about weather will have the call number 551.5 in the main collection, children's books, and video collections.
Beyond the Wheelock Library
If you can't find what you are looking for in the Library catalog, try the resources below.
- Boston Public Library
- Get a Boston Public Library card so that you can use their resources too! See Visiting Other Libraries to learn more.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- If we don't have it, you can request it. Be aware it does take time to receive books from other institutions—anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.