Records of the Division of Continuing Education and CentersTitle: Records of the Division of Continuing Education and Centers
Date: 1976 – on-going
Quantity: approximately .35 cubic feet, .42 linear feet (1 document box)
Collection Number: 10
Access to the collection is unlimited. Researchers are allowed to view all pieces of the collection. The archive is open by appointment only. Call the Reference Librarian at (617) 879-2222 to make an appointment.
Requests to publish material from the collection should be submitted to the Library Director.
The collection was the donation of Wheelock alumnae, faculty, and staff.Processing Information:
The collection was re-processed and updated by Abigail Blachly in 2004. The collection was initially organized by Theresa B. Davitt. The collection was rearranged based on archival principles. Accession correspondence as well as inquiries into information from the archives was removed from the collection. Acidic materials such as newsprint were photocopied onto acid-free paper and then discarded unless the original had some intrinsic value.
The following catalog entries provide controlled subject access to the collection. All these entries are searchable in the Wheelock College Library’s online catalog to find materials of related interest.
- Wheelock College – Division of Continuing Education
- Wheelock College – Center for Parenting Studies
- Wheelock College – Families First
- Wheelock College – Institute for Leadership and Career Initiatives
- Wheelock College – Stonewall Communities
- Klugman, Edgar
- Litman, Frances
- Bergstrom, Joan
- Braun, Linda
The Division of Continuing Education was created in 1975, with Dr. Edgar Klugman as Director. In 1993, the Continuing Education Division was phased out, and course responsibility was taken up by the A.S. Degree Curriculum Committee and the Undergraduate and Graduate Curriculum Committees.
The Center for Parenting Studies, under the direction of Professor Fran Litman, was organized in 1977. In 1989, “Families First,” a program providing resources, support and activities for parents of young children, began as collaboration with the Children’s Museum, under the direction of Professor Linda Braun. The Center for Career Development in Early Care and Education changed its name to the Wheelock College Institute for Leadership and Career Initiatives in 2001.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Records of Continuing Education and Centers are divided into two series: I. Continuing Education and II. Centers.Series I: Continuing Education
The Records of the Division of Continuing Education contain brochures and flyers announcing events, including the Advanced Seminars in Day Care Administration, as well as a memo from Marjorie Bakken in August of 1993 announcing the phasing out of the Division.Series II: Centers
This series contains clippings, memos, flyers and brochures for various centers associated with Wheelock College, including, among others, the Center for Parenting Studies, Families First, and Stonewall Communities Lifelong Learning Institute. The records of the Center for Parenting Studies include syllabi, and the records of Families First include its newsletter. This series also contains the 2003 Cantigny Conference Report, “Re-Visioning Articulation: Linkages in the Continuum of Students’ Success,” sponsored by the Institute for Leadership and Career Initiatives.
CONTAINER LISTBox 1
Series I: Continuing Education
- Continuing Education Division
- Continuing Education Brochures,
- Advanced Seminars in Day Care Administration Brochures
- Early Childhood Resources
- Center for Career Development in Early Care and Education (becomes the Institute for Leadership and Career Initiatives in 2001: see below)
- Center for Parenting Studies
- Center for Parenting Studies Brochures
- Center for Parenting Studies clippings, 1984 -
- Center for Parenting Studies Syllabi
- Center of Pedagogy
- Center on College-School-Community Partnerships
- Center on Families, Communities, Schools, and Children’s Learning
- Child Care Careers Program
- Families First
- Families First clippings, 1989 -
- Institute for Leadership and Career Initiatives
- Play Institutes Center
- Stonewall Communities Lifelong Learning Institute