Half Year Program 2014
January 28, 2014
9:30 am - 9:00 pm
Wheelock Family Theatre
150 The Riverway
Deconstructing the Modern Family
We kick-off the new semester with our 8th annual Half Year program. The goal is not only to celebrate the beginning of a new year but to also bring together students, faculty, and staff to collectively explore and engage in dialogue on an important topic. This year's theme is "Deconstructing the Modern Family," focusing on adoption, the foster care system, and other topics that explore how each of us define family. As we build up to the big day, we want this to be as much about you as it is for you.
There are two ways to participate in advance of the event:
1. FAMILY TIME
As you all know, today's modern family is a diverse one and we would like to highlight your families. So this holiday season, while you're at home, snap a picture of your family and post it to Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #WheeAreFamily. You can also upload the picture on the Wheelock Tumblr: http://wheelockcollege.tumblr.com/submit. Whether you are celebrating with family or with friends, we want to see your family!
2. FAVORITE RECIPES
Are you ever in the dining hall and think to yourself "I miss my Aunt Sue's delicious lasagna"? Well, this is for you! To go along with this year's theme, we want to incorporate your favorite family recipe into the day. If you would like your favorite dish showcased for everyone to try, submit the recipe at http://wheelockcollege.tumblr.com/submit—you just may see it in the dining hall the day of Half Year!
You do not need a Tumblr account to submit your photos and recipes, just an email address!
Highlights of the day:
- 9:30 a.m. Morning welcome by President Jackie Jenkins-Scott and the Half Year Program student committee
- 9:45 a.m. One-act narrative by author, educator on race relations and adoption, and lecturer Sue Harris O'Connor called "Harris Racial Identity Theory; Reflection of a Transracial Adoptee"
- 10:45 a.m. - noon Keynote address by Dr. Joyce Maguire Pavao, child welfare expert and adjunct faculty member in Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Pavao will moderate a panel discussion on the following topics: International adoption, LGBTQ adoption, and adopting children of color, and Open Adoption
- 12 noon Lunch with live band Grupo Fantasia; open to the entire Wheelock community
- 1:35 p.m. Spoken word performances by Flat Line Poetry group
- 1:50 - 2:50 p.m. Break-out sessions covering a variety of topics: pre and post adoption policies, foster care system, disrupted adoption, professions and the implications, and many more!
We invite you and your families back to Wheelock Family Theatre from 7 - 9 p.m. to enjoy an evening with STEP AFRIKA!, a company internationally celebrated for its efforts to promote an appreciation for stepping and the dance tradition's use as an educational tool for young people.