Wheelock Instructor Patricia Hnatiuk Honored
April 11, 2012
Patricia Hnatiuk, an instructor in Wheelock College's Department of Early Childhood Education, will receive the BAYEC Abigail Elliot Award on April 13, 2012 when some 300 early educators gather for the 11th annual Early Educators Awards Gala sponsored by the Boston Alliance for Early Education and the Boston Association for the Education of Young Children (BAEYC). The purpose of the gala is to celebrate early educators and the contributions they make to the development of young children and to recognize outstanding educators and programs.
Andrea Urbano of Brighton, director of center-based programs at Horizons for Homeless Children in Roxbury, will receive the Gwen Morgan Emergent Leader Award at the gala from the Massachusetts Association for the Education of Young Children.
Also being honored are:
- Walter Little of Stoughton, executive director the Grove Hall Child Development Center in Mattapan, for leadership and management.
- Admila Teixeira of Roslindale, an assistant to family child care provider Patty Leary-Gomez in Jamaica Plain, for relationships.
- Dwayne Nunez of Dorchester, a teacher at the Haynes Early Education Center in Roxbury, for curriculum.
- Helen Schroeder of Brighton, an art enrichment teacher at United South End Settlements Preschool in the South End, for physical environment.
- Zolia Juarez, a family child care provider in Somerville, for family partnership.
- Sharon Higgins of Dorchester, a teacher at Gertrude Townsend Head Start in Dorchester, for STEM (science, technology, engineering and math).
In addition, the gala will recognize 18 center-based programs that earned accreditation from the National Association for the Education of Young Children and 17 family child care providers that earned accreditation from the National Association for Family Child Care. Also being recognized are 82 early educators who earned Child Development Associate credentials.