The Second Annual Community Service Fair
February 28, 2014
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Campus Center Wolf Community Room
Student Life Office at mailto: email@example.com
Come learn about community service opportunities during Wheelock's World Service Weekend April 11-13 and other projects in April-May. You can sign up for one of these projects using our online signup form.
March 22, 2014
- Senior Skill Exchange: Dancing through the Ages (SophServe Project), 5:30 - 7 p.m. at Hebrew SeniorLife, Brookline. Students will learn older dance styles (i.e., Charleston) from senior citizens and teach them modern dances.
April 5, 2014
- Relay for Life (SophServe Project), starts at 6pm. The American Cancer Society Relay For Life movement symbolizes hope and our shared goal to end a disease that threatens the lives of so many people we love. If cancer has touched your life, participating in a Relay For Life event is a way to take action and help finish the fight. This event will be held at Boston University Track & Tennis Center.
Wheelock's World Service Weekend April 11-13, 2014
- BARCC Walk. On Sunday, April 13, the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center's 40th Anniversary Walk for Change will take place at DCR's Artesani Park in Brighton. Nearly 2,000 people are expected to walk 2.6 miles along the Charles River in support of survivor's of sexual assault and BARCC's mission to end sexual violence. It will be a fun and inspirational day filled with music, food and entertainment. For more information visit tinyurl.com/wfc2014.
- Mattahunt Community Center, Saturday, April 12, 9am-3pm. Beautification of the outdoor grounds at the Mattahunt to allow for a warm environment of play for children and families. (Volunteers needed: 10-15.)
- Mattapan Park Clean-up, Saturday, April 12, 9am-3pm. Clean up Shangri-La Garden and Ernest Cherry Tot-lot to prepare for spring activities. (Volunteers needed: 10-15.)
- DreamFar. On Saturdays through April, we sponsor a Dreamfar High School Marathon training program. We need volunteers to help staff the long run water stops, to help point runners in the right direction, and generally cheer the runners on. Most runs start around 8:00am; ending time depends on distance of the run (usually between 11:00am and 1:00pm)
- Pine Street Inn
- Rosie's Place, April 12, 10:30am-1:30pm. With your help, we can prepare and serve a nutritious meal to 150 women in Rosie's dining room. Rosie's Place staff helps your group throughout the experience—purchasing the meal's ingredients and leading meal preparations during your visit. Rosie's is also always looking for groups to do a Toiletry and/or Food Drive. Groups either collect or purchase food and toiletry items to be used in various programs at Rosie's Place. Toiletry kits can be bundled and created off-site as a team building activity or items can be delivered separately.
- Ronald McDonald House
- Elihu Greenwood Leadership Academy
- Horizons For Homeless Children. Become a Playspace Activity Leader. You will prepare and lead age-appropriate activiities, games and/or projects with children in family shelters, young parenting programs, domestic violence shelters, substance recovery programs, community children's centers, and transitional living programs. The program includes 5 hours of inititial orientation and training and requires a 6-month commitment. All shifts are held on weekdays between 8am-9pm.
April 26, 2014
- Muddy River Clean-Up, 9am-noon. Join your community and members of the Colleges of the Fenway to clean up our favorite green space. Mingle with other college students while giving back to the community. Lunch and T-shirts will be provided. Organized by the Charles River Watershed Association and the COF Center for Sustainability and the Environment. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make-A-Wish Talent Show, 7:30 p.m., Wheelock Family Theatre. We're looking for student volunteers for Wheelock College's 18th Annual MAKE-A-WISH TALENT SHOW! If you have a passion for fundraising, public relations, event planning, and talent acquisition and want to learn how you can play an important role on our Talent Show team, then please sign-up! Our goal is to raise $3,000 for Make-A-Wish Foundation of MA & RI.
May 3, 2014
- Project Bread's Walk For Hunger. Wheelock Rocks The Walk will again be participating in the 20-mile Walk For Hunger. Project Bread's Walk for Hunger brings thousands of people to our state's capital each year to raise money for anti-hunger programs and to promote awareness about the face of hunger in our communities. At the 2013 Walk for Hunger, over 40,000 people came together and raised over $3.6 million! Let's try to break that record! Join the "Wheelock Rocks The Walk" team or donate to the cause.