Wheelock World Service Weekend
“The one thing that makes life worth living is to serve a cause." - Lucy Wheelock
For more than 125 years, Wheelock College has been committed to service!
We are gearing up for the 2013 Wheelock World Service Weekend, which will unite students, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of the College in a weekend of service to their communities. We will perform volunteer activities in different parts of the country and make a powerful collective statement about the College's commitment to service. Click on the "Propose a Project" link or view the 2013 projects to get involved!
Together we made a difference!
The Wheelock College Alumni Association Board would like to thank the entire Wheelock Community for supporting the third Wheelock World Service Weekend and our mission to improve the lives of children and families. We estimate that close to 200 Wheelock alumni, faculty, staff, students, and friends participated in Wheelock World Service Weekend. As a result of your commitment to inspiring a world of good, we were able to:
- Collect 47 usable pints of blood for the American Red Cross, which could potentially save 141 lives! (Almost 80 Wheelock community members participated.)
- Collect 196 signatures on a petition about discriminatory blood donation policies that will be sent to both the FDA and the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Donate more than 170 canned food items to Rosie's Place.
- Walk a total of 36 miles in support of the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center. (Fourteen Wheelock community members participated in the Walk for Change.)
- Raise more than $3,600 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of MA & RI at the 16th annual Make-A-Wish Talent Show!
- Construct garden beds at the Watertown Community Gardens to grow produce that will be donated to the Watertown Food Pantry.
- Run a 5K in support of Jassmine Cobb and the Children's Organ Transplant Association in Ohio.
- Collect supplies for classrooms in Jacmel, Haiti.
- Collect 6 bags of trash on the Fellsway in Stoneham.
- Collect 20 bags of trash and 8 bags of recycling at the Annual Muddy River Cleanup. (More than 65 Wheelock and COF community members participated!)
- Read to young children at the Riverview High School Cyesis Teen Parent Program in Sarasota, FL.
We're asking participants to count the hours they served during Wheelock's World Service Weekend so we can measure the overall impact of this important event. Click the link above and make sure your hours count! If you participated in one of the highlighted projects or one of your own, let us know! Every act of kindness counts! We would also love to hear how you are serving your community during other times of the year. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any news or photos.