Wheelock World Service Week
April 10-18, 2016
"The one thing that makes life worth living is to serve a cause."
- Lucy Wheelock
Wheelock World Service Week was a big success! Close to 200 alumni, students, faculty, and staff participated, and we estimate that well over 600 hours were dedicated to service. Thanks to all those who showed their commitment to improving the lives of children and families by volunteering with the Wheelock community. If you were a team leader, or did service in your home community, please report back to us with details and photos.
Here are some examples of the impact we made in 2016:
- 327 books were donated for the Reach out and Read Book Drive in New Albany, Ohio
- 35 people registered for the Be The Match - National Bone Marrow Donor Registry in Memory of Sophie Rossi at Wheelock College
- 4 volunteers served more than 125 meals at the Women's Lunch Place in Boston, MA
- 23 volunteers made classroom resource kits for BPS students working with City Year
- 122 volunteers worked with 89 preschoolers at libraries in Singapore
- 4 bins of food were collected for the Greater Boston Food Bank in Boston, MA
- 3 volunteers cleaned up the Curtis Hall Community Center in Jamaica Plain, MA
- 135 thank you notes were written for military personnel
- 4 volunteers tagged and sorted clothing at Boomerangs/AIDS Action Committee in West Roxbury, MA
- An alumna did a neighborhood cleanup in Lander, Wyoming
- Alumni did a neighborhood cleanup in Stoneham, MA
Visit the 2016 Project page for more detailed information on the projects.
We're asking participants to count the hours they served during WWSW so we can measure the overall impact of this important event. Fill out our Service Log Form and make sure your hours count! If you participated in one of the highlighted projects or one of your own, let us know. Every act of kindness counts. We would also love to hear how you are serving your community during other times of the year. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any news or photos.