Wheelock World Service Weekend
"The one thing that makes life worth living is to serve a cause."
- Lucy Wheelock
Together we made a difference!
The Wheelock College Alumni Association Board would like to thank the entire Wheelock Community for supporting Wheelock World Service Weekend and our mission to improve the lives of children and families. We estimate that over 30 alumni served 150.5 hours during Wheelock World Service Weekend projects. As a result of your commitment to inspiring a world of good, we were able to:
- Collect 135 bags of trash during the Barbados Beach Cleanup.
- Walk 3.1 miles during the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) Walk for Change.
- Serve 75 meals at the Women's Lunch Place in Boston.
- Engage 42 members of the Wheelock Community in giving blood during the American Red Cross Blood Drive. 50% were first-time donors.
- Assist with 1 conference on family support and engagement.
- Tutor and mentor 130 children at the Mattahunt Community Center.
- Raise over $900 and walk 20 miles for Project Bread's Walk for Hunger.
- Collect 3 books for children at Riverview High School Cyesis Teen Parent Program in Sarasota, Florida.
- Engage 92 children in service learning and tutor 89 children in Singapore.
- Register 20 members of the Wheelock Community in the National Bone Marrow Donor Registry.
- Donate 7 books to Generations, Inc.
- Donate over $550 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
We're asking participants to count the hours they served during WWSW so we can measure the overall impact of this important event. Fill out our Service Log Form and make sure your hours count! If you participated in one of the highlighted projects or one of your own, let us know. Every act of kindness counts. We would also love to hear how you are serving your community during other times of the year. Email us at email@example.com with any news or photos.