Applying for Graduate Studies
Required Materials for Online Masters Degree Candidates
- Wheelock Graduate Application - Students applying to Wheelock's online programs are asked to submit the online program application. We ask that all students adhere to our priority deadlines.
- Essay - Please submit a 3-5 page essay describing why you would like to attend Wheelock College as a graduate student. Your essay should include information on which degree program you would like to pursue, how you became interested in this field of work, and why you feel Wheelock College, with its mission to improve the lives of children and families, would be the ideal institution for you to continue your education. You are also encouraged to describe the strengths that you bring to your chosen field and the professional challenges that you will face.
Applicants are welcome to submit additional materials they feel may give the Admissions Committee a broader view of their achievements. Supplemental essays regarding poor performance in undergraduate coursework may also be appropriate. Please contact an admissions counselor if you have questions.
- Letters of Reference - Three (3) letters of reference are required. One should be of an academic nature from a faculty member who is familiar with the applicant's academic work (e.g., a former professor or instructor of the applicant). The second reference should be from an individual who can discuss the applicant's work or relevant experience. The third letter may be either academic or professional at the applicant's discretion. References from family members and/or friends are not acceptable. Please note that additional letters of reference may be requested at the discretion of the Admission Committee.
All references must arrive in unopened envelopes with the evaluator's signature across the flap. While a student's recommender may draft a letter on his or her own letterhead we do require that the Reference Form be submitted as well with the student's signature as well as the recommender's information. Please make sure that information regarding the confidentiality of the letter is appropriately marked on this form.
Download the Reference Form.
- Academic Records (transcripts) - Students applying for admission to a graduate program at Wheelock College must hold a Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited institution. Degree-seeking applicants must present official transcripts from each junior college, college, and university (including Wheelock College, if applicable) at which the applicant was granted a degree.
Applicants should contact the Registrar of each school attended, requesting that an official transcript be sent either to the student or to the Office of Graduate Admissions directly. If the student chooses to submit the transcripts, they must be sent in their original sealed envelopes. Any applicant still taking courses or completing a program at the time of application may be eligible for conditional acceptance and must submit a follow-up transcript showing final grades and degree subsequently obtained. Additional transcripts regarding transferred course work may be requested at the discretion of the Admission Committee.
- Resume - Work experience and career progression are important and will be considered by the Admissions Committee. Resumes should be submitted in a professional format and include: contact information, educational background, work experience, and skills.
- Interview - Not all online degree programs require an interview. However, application interviews are required for the Organizational Leadership Program. The Admissions Committee also may request an evaluative phone or personal interview with an applicant to further discuss the applicant's academic and professional goals. Students applying to other programs may request an evaluative interview. All students are welcome to meet informally with members of the admission staff and faculty. In each case, unless the student is initiating the request for an interview, the Admissions Committee will contact the applicant directly.