Passion for Action Scholarship Program
The Passion for Action Scholarship (PFAS) supports scholars who learn to nurture and apply their passion in becoming leaders of change in their community, their nation, and the world.
A student must be nominated by a teacher, guidance counselor, or representative of an organization served by the student.
Nominees must meet all of the following criteria:
- Reside in the Greater Boston area.
- Be a high school senior who demonstrates a strong record of academic achievement. GPA, college entrance exams and overall grades will be reviewed. These should complement and support nominee's commitment to academic excellence.
- Apply and be admitted to Wheelock College as a first-year freshman student entering Wheelock for the fall semester.
- Demonstrate persistent leadership by creating change in his or her community through service. This may include developing, leading, or implementing new or existing projects in areas such as education, the arts, child or elderly services, housing, hunger, health and safety, and the environment.
- Leadership activity must be voluntary and not performed as a requirement of an academic or other organizational program.
- The scholarship provides a $20,000 annual award toward Wheelock College tuition.
- Community Service and Service Learning: While attending Wheelock, scholars are expected to work on a self-initiated community service project and also participate in coursework-related service learning experiences. These experiences expose scholars not only to think of service within their neighborhoods, but also to see and think of the global impact of service and commitment to social change.
- The Leadership Seminar: Scholars attend a series of leadership seminars and other related events during each of their four years at Wheelock College. These leadership seminars will allow students to reflect on their personal leadership growth and development.
- Documentation, Reflection, and Presentation: Scholars document their work, reflect on its impact and relevancy, and give presentations on community service and leadership.
How to Apply
Students must be nominated by a teacher, guidance counselor, or representative of an organization served by the student.
Nominations for students enrolling in Fall 2017 will continue to be accepted until February 15, 2017. Please submit your nomination via the online Passion for Action Scholarship Nomination Form.
Contact Allison Sherlock in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com or 617-879-2038.