July 6-10, 2015
Camp At a Glance
Dates: July 6-10, 2015
Time: 9AM-4PM (Optional informal STEM activities available from 8-9AM)
Who: Students entering 8th or 9th grade in Fall 2015
Where: Wheelock College in Boston
Cost: $400 (includes lunch and snack)
For more information or partnership opportunities contact:
A STEM Career and College Awareness Experience for Rising 8th and 9th Graders
Each day of this fun and innovative camp features both an excursion to a Boston-area company, organization, or field site that highlights a variety of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) disciplines and a related classroom lab activity. In addition, campers will begin to explore college life and academics through campus tours and discussions with college students and staff.
Your child will explore a variety of subjects in a relaxed and creative setting that allows them to develop and strengthen their interest in STEM fields while building bonds with their peers.
Confirmed Field Trips and STEM focus areas:
- Blue Hills Observatory and Trailside Museum (ecology, geology, and meteorology)
- Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institute and Oceanquest Tour (history of science and engineering at Wood's Hole and inquiry-based ocean tour)
Possible additional field trips and STEM focus areas include*:
- The Christa McAuliffe Center (Challenger Learning Center Program)
- Harvard Museum of Natural History (zoology, geology, and botany)
- Lowell Mills Engineering Innovation Boat Tour (history and engineering)
- MIT Museum (holograms, inventions, and electricity)
*continue to check back as more field trip sites are confirmed!
The STEM in the City 2015 Summer Camp Experience
Home base for STEM in the City Summer Camp is the Department of Mathematics and Science on Wheelock College's Boston campus. Campers will meet at Wheelock and be introduced to a STEM topic. Daily activities then include field trips, led by STEM professionals, and hands-on activities that relate to the field experience. Campers eat lunch at or near the site, then return to Wheelock, where they will explore a variety of careers and the educational pathways needed to attain those careers.
The academic environment at Wheelock provides an appropriate facility for STEM investigations. Perhaps just as importantly, it also gives students an introduction to college life. One afternoon of camp will include a tour of Wheelock's classrooms, resource center, dorm rooms, library, theater, campus store, dining hall, and other campus buildings. Students will also have an opportunity to speak with undergraduates and faculty from Wheelock and faculty from other institutions throughout the Colleges of the Fenway, as well as members of the Academic Advising and Admissions offices.
The key goals of STEM in the City are:
- To increase STEM content knowledge
- To increase awareness of and to promote STEM careers
- To expose middle school students to a college experience
The STEM in the City Summer Camp Team
STEM in the City is run by an outstanding team of education professionals from Wheelock College, led by Dr. Ellen Faszewski, Wheelock College professor of biology and co-chair of the Math and Science Department. The team also includes college student counselors, as well as Wheelock staff and faculty.
Register Now for Summer Camp 2015
The cost for STEM in the City is $400, which includes lunch and a snack each day.
You can register and submit the $400 tuition fee either of two ways:
- Electronically. Complete the STEM in the City Summer Camp Online Registration form. After registering, you will be prompted to pay electronically with a credit card through Wheelock's Cashnet Online Payment System (choose the STEM Camp link from the main menu page). You can also pay via check (made payable to 'Wheelock College STEM Camp'). Please mail check to Wheelock College, 200 Riverway, Boston, MA, 02215, Attn: Cara Dembkoski.
- By Mail. Print out and complete the 2015 STEM in the City Application Form (pdf). Mail the completed form, along with a check (made payable to 'Wheelock College STEM Camp'), to Wheelock College, 200 Riverway, Boston, MA, 02215, Attn: Cara Dembkoski.