Mathematics and Science
Anne Hegarty '08, MS '09
"With my math/science expertise from undergraduate studies and my language and literacy expertise from my graduate work, I will be a well-rounded teacher."
- Gain a deep understanding of mathematics and science
- Learn specialized knowledge of the elementary curriculum
- Draw on your intellectual and creative capacity
- Program developed for future K-6 math and science teachers and other human service professionals
- Opportunity to enroll in the Colleges of the Fenway Environmental Science Program
- Personalized approach to learning that values the student-teacher relationship
The Mathematics and Science major offers you an opportunity to gain a deep appreciation for some of humanity's greatest achievements and to participate more fully in the world around you. You'll improve your capacity to solve problems, to justify your reasoning, and to communicate that reasoning to others. For future teachers, the major also offers excellent preparation in specialized mathematical knowledge for teaching and in inquiry-based teaching methods in both math and science.
You may choose from one of three tracks. Mathematics for Teachers and Science for Teachers are innovative programs designed to prepare future leaders in math/science education of younger children.
The Interdisciplinary track is for students who prefer a broader preparation in both mathematics and science, want to study Environmental Science through the Colleges of the Fenway consortium, or wish to design their own program.
- See a full Course List for the Mathematics and Science major.
- Meet the Mathematics and Science faculty members.
Mathematics and Science is an arts and sciences major that may be combined with a professional major in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Special Education, or Social Work. Math/Science is also available as a minor. In addition, you may choose Math/Science for your undergraduate major as part of Wheelock's dual degree program leading to a master's in Child Life.
- Algebra and Number Theory
- Animal Behavior
- History of Mathematics
- Environmental Impacts
- Physical Processes in the Human Body
- Probability and Statistics
- Scientific Inquiry and the Natural World
Skills You'll Learn
- Confident and creative problem solving
- Construct sound mathematical and scientific arguments
- Use a variety of relevant technology
- Elementary teacher
- Early childhood educator
- Teacher leader
- Public health professional