Mathematics and Science
- Challenge yourself with interesting and difficult problems
- Develop your intellectual and creative capacities
- Prepare to make a difference by teaching high-need subject areas
- Program developed for future K-6 math and science teachers and human service professionals
- Faculty committed to modeling excellent teaching
- Engaging, interactive curriculum that encourages curiosity and collaboration
The Mathematics and Science major offers you an opportunity to gain a deep appreciation for some of humanity's greatest achievements and to participate more fully in the world around you.
You'll improve your capacity to solve problems, to justify your reasoning, and to communicate that reasoning to others. For future teachers, the major also offers excellent preparation in specialized mathematical knowledge for teaching and in inquiry-based teaching methods in both math and science.
You may choose from several focus areas. Mathematics for Teaching and Science for Teaching are designed to prepare you to become an effective and innovative teacher of early childhood or elementary children. Studies in Mathematics, Human Biology, Environmental Science, and Physical Science enable to you to delve more deeply into a particular subject. You may also study Sustainability with courses at Wheelock and through the Colleges of the Fenway consortium.
- See a full Course List for the Mathematics and Science major.
- Meet the Mathematics and Science faculty members.
Mathematics and Science is an arts and sciences major that may be combined with a professional major. Math/Science is also available as a minor. In addition, you may choose Math/Science for your undergraduate major as part of Wheelock's dual degree program leading to a master's in Child Life.
- Algebra and Number Theory
- Animal Behavior
- History of Mathematics
- Environmental Impacts
- Natural History of New England
- Physical Processes in the Human Body
- Probability and Statistics
- Scientific Inquiry and the Natural World
Skills You'll Learn
- Confident and creative problem solving
- Constructing sound mathematical and scientific arguments
- Applying math and science to everyday life
- Integrating cutting edge technologies
- Speaking and writing about math and science
- Elementary teacher
- Early childhood educator
- Teacher leader
- Public health professional
This major prepares you to study mathematics education or science education at the graduate level.