Applying to the Honors Program
Honors Program Coordinator
The Wheelock College Honors Program welcomes students who show a passion for learning and who have attained outstanding academic achievement. The selection committee also places value on outstanding service to others. Students who thrive in the Honors Program are ready to explore new ways of thinking, to research complex issues, to engage in a lively exchange of ideas, and to seek effective and innovative ways to improve the lives of children and families.
Entering first-year students are automatically eligible for admission into the Honors Program if they have a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher and an SAT score (combined Critical Reading and Math Sections) of at least 1100. All accepted students who meet these requirements will receive an invitation to join the program. Honors students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.30 to remain in the Honors Program.
If you have been admitted to the College as a first-year student and are interested in joining the Honors Program, but feel that your GPA and SAT score do not reflect your creativity, commitment to learning, and inspired work in programs or initiatives, we encourage you to apply. To apply, submit:
- A two- to three-page letter, describing your achievements and explaining why you would like to participate in the program.
- Contact information of a teacher, counselor, or other mentor who can recommend you for the program.
Send your letter and recommender's contact information via regular mail or email to:
Coordinator, Honors Program
200 The Riverway
Boston, MA 02215
You should receive an email confirmation that we have received your application. If you have not received a confirmation within ten days after you sent it, please contact the Honors Program Coordinator.
The deadline for letters of application is March 28, 2014. Please use business letter format. Since you will be notified of the Committee's decision by mail, be sure to include a current address in the heading of your letter, along with your phone number and email address.
Transfer students may also apply to the Honors Program, but must complete all program requirements (see FAQs for program requirements). The application process is the same as for entering first-year students, above. If you have not submitted SAT scores to the College, however, you must submit the application letter and contact information for your recommender.
Admission for Current First-Year Students
Wheelock students who demonstrate strong academic performance during their first year at the College may apply for admission to the Honors Program. The deadline for application is March 28, 2014.
Applicants with a G.P.A. of 3.5 after their first semester should submit
- An application form and brief personal statement of no more than three paragraphs indicating the reasons for your interest in the Honors Program and your qualifications. Download the Student Application [pdf].
- Two letters of reference from Wheelock professors, one of whom must be your Eng 110 or Eng 111 instructor (from fall or spring semester). Your professor submits the reference directly to the program director. Download the Faculty Recommendation [pdf].
- A graded paper from a Wheelock course which demonstrates your strengths as a writer and thinker.
Send your application to:
Coordinator, Honors Programs
200 The Riverway
Boston, MA 02215
Alternatively, you can send your application attached to an email. Send the email to the Coordinator of the Honors Program, Tina Durand, tdurand@Wheelock.edu.
You should receive an email confirmation that we have received your application. If you have not received a confirmation within ten days after submitting your application, please contact the Honors Program Coordinator.