Mathematics and Science for Teaching
- Challenge yourself with interesting and difficult problems
- Develop your intellectual and creative capacities
- Prepare to make a difference by teaching high-need subject areas
- Faculty committed to modeling excellent teaching
- Engaging, interactive curriculum that encourages curiosity and collaboration
- Majors designed for future elementary school math and science teachers and human service professionals
Wheelock offers three* innovative Mathematics and Science majors specifically designed to give you the specialized skills needed to effectively teach mathematics and/or science subjects to elementary school students.
All of our Mathematics and Science majors feature an inquiry-based approach that will improve your capacity to solve problems, to justify your reasoning, and to communicate that reasoning to others. You will have opportunities for field trips, internships, leadership, research, and community service that enhance the classroom experience.
You may choose from several focus areas.
- B.A in Mathematics for Teaching helps prospective teachers develop a profound understanding of fundamental mathematics ideas vital to teaching elementary school mathematics.
- B.A. in Science for Teaching helps prospective teachers develop deep knowledge of key concepts of life and physical sciences and scientific inquiry needed to teach elementary school science.
- B.A in Mathematics/Science for Teaching gives prospective teachers an interdisciplinary program balanced between mathematics and science concepts vital to teaching elementary school math and/or science.
Overview of Programs
For prospective teachers: The Mathematics for Teaching, Science for Teaching, and Mathematics/Science for Teaching majors are designed to be taken in conjunction with a professional major in Elementary Education or Special Education.
* The B.A. in Environmental Studies is a fourth option for those wishing to pursue a professional degree in teaching; it can also be a standalone major.
- Algebra and Number Theory
- Environmental Impacts
- Human Physiology
- Math from Many Cultures
- Math Through Crochet, Quilts, and Temari
- Natural Disasters
- Physics of Sports
- Probability and Statistics
Skills You'll Learn
- Confident and creative problem solving
- Constructing sound mathematical and scientific arguments
- Applying math and science to everyday life
- Integrating cutting-edge technologies
- Speaking and writing about math and science
- Elementary teacher
- Early childhood educator
- Teacher leader
This major prepares you to study mathematics education or science education at the graduate level.