Jumpstart at Wheelock
Jumpstart at Wheelock
Pilgrim Student Center
37 Pilgrim Rd.
Boston, MA 02215
Apply to be one of the highly motivated college students at Wheelock who serves in the Jumpstart program, a national early education organization that works toward the day every child in America enters school prepared to succeed. Through the program, college students work with preschoolers from a low-income background for 10-12 hours a week over the course of a full year.
Wheelock's Jumpstart students work each year with over 100 preschool children at Head Start and other early learning centers in the Boston area. First year corps members also participate in a service-learning class to help broaden their knowledge and reflect on their work in the classroom. Wheelock's partnership with the Jumpstart program is part of our commitment to academic excellence, community service, and serving children and families.
What are the benefits of being a Jumpstart Corps member?
- Earn your work-study award AND an education award of $1,175 to pay for college tuition or student loans
- Corps members have an opportunity to earn their Early Education & Care (EEC) Teacher Certification.
- Build lasting friendships with a team of similarly motivated peers
- Serve your local community and participate in the AmeriCorps national service movement
- Receive 60 hours of professional training in the areas of early childhood education and early childhood development
- For first year students, Jumpstart counts as your year-long Human Growth and Development field placement
- Corps members deepen their experience through participation in the 2 credit Jumpstart Reflective Seminar
Make a difference in the life of a child
To learn more about Jumpstart, watch this YouTube video.
What is it like to be a Corps member?
- Learn how corps members work with preschool children through the Jumpstart model.
- See more detailed descriptions of the Corps member and other positions.
- Read profiles of current Corps members.
Where do Wheelock students conduct their Jumpstart service?
Ruggles Gilday Preschool
Franklin Square Children's Center
The Dimock Center
Crispus Attucks Children's Center
Project Hope Children's Center
Urban Update Feature on Jumpstart at Wheelock
Wheelock College's Jumpstart program and its Center of Excellence for Military Children and Families were the focus of a recent feature on WHDH's Urban Update.
Watch the program:
Resources for Current Jumpstart and AmeriCorps Students