Adult and Professional Programs
:Wheelock College has been providing expertise, perspective, and experience in professional fields as well as liberal arts since 1888. Wheelock's Adult and Professional Programs allow our faculty to share that expertise with practitioners and non-matriculated students through programs and activities exploring a broad range of topics in the fields of education, social work, child life, and the arts and sciences.
In addition to offering programs created by our faculty, Wheelock brings renowned domestic and international practitioners and academics to the College to share their experiences with members of the broader community. Our goal is to bring together the best and brightest to discuss and shape the future of professional disciplines and the liberal arts.
Whether you're a practitioner, parent, student, or just a person eager to learn something new, check out the opportunities currently available.
Current Programs for Adults
TAKE A COURSE AT WHEELOCK
- Graduate-level and Undergraduate-level Courses: If you are interested in taking a class or Professional Development Institute (PDI) to stay on top of your profession, to get to know Wheelock, to earn college credits, or just to learn something new, we welcome you to sign up as a non-matriculated student and Take a Course at Wheelock.
- MTEL Prep Courses: Wheelock College offers prep courses to the general public to prepare for the following MTEL (Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure) tests: Early Childhood, Communication and Literacy Skills: Reading Subtest, Communication and Literacy Skills: Writing Subtest, General Curriculum: Multisubject Subtest, and General Curriculum: Mathematics Subtest. Visit our MTEL Prep web page to learn more and to see which courses are currently available.
Wheelock offers a variety of intensive, short-term learning opportunities, that will broaden your knowledge and skills.
- Curiosity and Learning Conference: Wheelock College's third annual conference of hands-on experiences, inspired by the education philosophy of David and Frances Hawkins.
Target Audience: Educators from schools at all age levels, museums, and family child care providers
Date: Saturday, October 28, 2017
- Education in Nature - Professional Development Workshop for Teachers PreK-High School: Wheelock College and Kroka Expeditions invite experienced and aspiring educators to join a four-day Education in Nature Professional Development program at the Kroka campus in Marlow, New Hampshire. The purpose is to give educators first-hand experience in the outdoors in a safe and invigorating environment and allow them to explore with other educators ways to bring nature into their curriculum.
Target Audience: Experienced and aspiring educators
Dates: July 5-8, 2017
Location: Kroka Campus, Marlowe, NH
- Open Studios at the Documentation Studio: Explore documentation's role in education from a variety of learning contexts and share your experiences with other educators in these free monthly workshops.
Target Audience: PreK-12 educators and higher ed faculty
Start Date: Open Studios are held monthly, with a different focus each session
GRADUATE CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
- Graduate Certificates: These 12-credit graduate programs allow you to develop a specialty within the field of Education, Social Work, Parenting Education, or Nonprofit Leadership. Application for admission to Wheelock College is required.
Target Audience: These post-baccalaureate programs are designed to give professionals the specific skills they need to boost their impact and advance their career with as little as one year of study. They may also be combined with Wheelock's master's degree programs.
Start date: Varies by program. See the current offerings on our Graduate Programs page.
- Military Counseling Certificate - Not currently open for enrollment
This post-baccalaureate certificate program will teach you how to establish relationships with veterans and their family members in a culturally sensitive manner. It is ideal for individuals who want to gain valuable new skills and insights, as well as for organizations that wish to offer high-quality professional development to groups of employees. This program is offered ONLY for non-credit professional development.