How to Apply to the BPS Reading Specialist Masters Program
Wheelock College has streamlined its graduate application process for the BPS Reading Specialist Masters program. Please submit the following items:
1. Wheelock Graduate Application - Please complete and submit Wheelock's On-campus Online Application.
2. Essay - Please submit a 1-2 page essay describing why you would like to attend Wheelock College as a graduate student in the BPS Reading Specialist Masters Program. Your essay should include information on how you became interested in this field of work and why you feel Wheelock College, with its mission to improve the lives of children and families, would be the ideal place for you to continue your education. You are also encouraged to describe the strengths that you bring to your chosen field and the professional challenges that you will face.
3. Letter of Reference - One professional letter of reference is required, written by an individual who can discuss your work or relevant experience. The reference letter must arrive in an unopened envelope with the evaluator's signature across the flap. While the recommender may draft a letter on his or her own letterhead, we do require that Wheelock's Reference Form also be submitted, with the applicant's signature as well as the recommender's information. Please make sure that information regarding the confidentiality of the letter is appropriately marked on this form.
Download Wheelock's Reference Form.
4. Academic Records (transcripts) - Students applying for admission to a graduate program at Wheelock College must hold a Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited institution. Degree-seeking applicants must present official transcripts from each junior college, college, and university (including Wheelock College, if applicable) at which the applicant was granted a degree.
Applicants should contact the Registrar of each school attended, requesting that an official transcript be sent either to the student or to the Office of Graduate Admissions directly. If the student chooses to submit the transcripts, they must be sent in their original sealed envelopes. Any applicant still taking courses or completing a program at the time of application may be eligible for conditional acceptance and must submit a follow-up transcript showing final grades and degree subsequently obtained. Additional transcripts regarding transferred course work may be requested at the discretion of the Admission Committee.
5. Resume - Work experience and career progression are important and will be considered by the Admissions Committee. Resumes should be submitted in a professional format and include: contact information, educational background, work experience, and skills.
6. MTEL/Initial Licensure Information for some Education Applicants - information for Professional Licensure Candidates Only - Some licensure only programs require the submission of MTEL scores. Students will be notified of any requirements during the application process. Students applying for a masters degree program which will allow them to be eligible for professional licensure must submit copies of their initial licensure documentation. For more information please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.