Instructor of Early Childhood Education
Office: Longwood Faculty Offices, #8
Ph.D. Education, University of Rhode Island/Rhode Island College
AMS Montessori Credential (NEMTEC, Cambridge, MA 3-6)
B.A., Salem State College
Susan Zoll specializes in early childhood education and children's language and literacy development. Her experiences range from classroom teacher and school administrator to her most recent work as a literacy coach and Director of Professional Development for four US Department of Education grants: Early Reading First (ERF 2004, 2006, 2009) and an Early Childhood Educators Professional Development grant (ECEPD 2006) awarded to Ready to Learn Providence. Her work in the development of an assessment protocol in these projects has been recognized by the USDOE's Doing What Works website.
Her teaching and research interests include early language and literacy development, the use of assessment to inform instruction, mentoring as technical assistance to transform theory to classroom practice, equity in education to close the preparation gap, and the pedagogy of Maria Montessori and Reggio Emilia.
Recent presentations include: Maryland Head Start Conference (2012), the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Professional Development Institute (2011) and NAEYC's Annual Conference (2011), and the National Head Start Research Conference (2010).
- Before They Enter School: A Chasm of Learning Experiences (2012)
- From "at risk" to "at promise": An Evaluation of an Early Reading First Project (2012)
- Sustainable Practices in Mentoring: Tools to Support Child Outcomes and a Mentoring Protocol (2011)
- EDU 341 Assessing Young Children with and without Special Needs
- EDU 502 Curriculum Design for Teaching the Social Studies and Expressive Arts
- EDP 521 Practicum and Seminar in Early Childhood Education
- EDP 531 Extended Field Experience
- EDU 702 Early Childhood Education Program Capstone
- HDP 227 Language Development (Singapore)
- EDU 455 English Language Learners and Struggling Readers (Singapore)