STEM Activity App
What is the STEM Activity App?
The Wheelock College Aspire Institute is launching an exciting new initiative to promote family-child engagement in math and science learning. As Wheelock College's social and education innovation center, the Aspire Institute is currently developing a web application that provides accessible, engaging, and daily information in the area of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) to parents of third, fourth, and fifth graders. This application will place STEM learning at the fingertips of families and students!
We ended the pilot at the Sarah Greenwood School in Dorchester, MA on May 17 and all students were able to participate in our End-of-Pilot STEM pizza party with 125 third, fourth and fifth graders. We partnered with the Discovery Museums to bring STEM activities to life for these students. We also raffled off two iPod Shuffles and an iPad Mini.
On May 22, 2013, we were awarded the 2013 Silvia Earl Innovation award a second time to continue to develop the STEM app! We are excited to expand upon this project in the coming year, and hope you can be a part of it by registering for the app to receive your STEM activities. See below for details.
Starting October 10th, we welcome anyone to sign up for the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Activity App. All you have to do is fill out the STEM App Signup form to start receiving your STEM Activity 3 times a week for 10 weeks starting on October 15th. Activities will come to you via email with a link to the web application on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. If you miss a day, no worries, you can see all past activities in the "All Activities" section.
The STEM Activity App is a web application that provides accessible, engaging activities in the area of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) to families of third, fourth, and fifth graders. The activities are easy and meant to encourage family-student engagement. In addition to receiving the activity, here are some of the other features of the application:
- Click on the "Who Studies This" tab to find out which STEM careers are interested in these types of activities
- Click on the "Take Aways" tab and find out how this activity could affect your daily life
- Rate the activity - did you like it?
- Submit a response - what result did you and your student get after doing the activity?
Increased parent/guardian excitement about and engagement in STEM activities with their children will likely inspire an increased interest in STEM, and perhaps the next generation of scientists, mathematicians, engineers and technologists!
So please sign up here today to start receiving your fun STEM activities on October 15th!
The Wheelock College Aspire Institute Team
Examples of Activities Featured in the App:
1. Water Consumption - How much water should you drink each day? Take a guess. Do you think it's the same for everyone? Some experts says to calculate how much water you should drink each day, you would divide your weight by 2 and that would be the number of ounces you need. For example, if you weigh 150 lbs. you would need approx. 75 ounces of water. Have you and your child calculate for the whole family.
2. Pi represents the relationship between a circle's diameter (its width) and its circumference (the distance around the circle). Find different sized circles in your house and measure each of their diameters and their circumferences. Then divide each circle's circumference by its diameter. What do you notice about your answers?
3. In which setting do you think an ounce of water would evaporate more quickly--in an air conditioned room, or outdoors in the shade on a summer day? Try it out! Put an ounce of water in two small containers (they should be identical containers) and place them in the two locations. Plan to check back on the containers a few times over the next several hours. Is there any change?
If you want to learn more about the STEM Activity App, please contact Barbara Joseph at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-879-2194.