Higher Education Access and Opportunity for English Language Learners
Pathways is designed to serve adult English language learners in the field of Early Education and Care and intends to:
- Strengthen the links between higher education, the early childhood community, and adult ELL professionals within this community; and
- Open access and opportunity, advance professional knowledge and skills, and ensure quality services for children and families.
Pathways focuses on both early childhood education (ECE) and contextualized writing/communication courses to foster educators' content knowledge and English-language acquisition. The initiative has built-in academic, literacy, and social support services to ensure successful transitions of students into degree programs.
Program Focus and Structure
The Pathways for English language learners program is composed of native Spanish speakers paired together with appropriate academic, social, and linguistic supports to afford each student the opportunity to succeed.
- The Aspire/Pathways staff is a diverse team with extensive experience in early childhood, adult ELLs, and multilingual communities.
- Program staff, mentors, and other academic specialists will be culturally and linguistically diverse professionals who are experienced in adult learning and who represent diverse communities.
- Pathways will use evaluation results to identify best practices and disseminate them to higher education communities through the program website, journal articles, conferences, and other networks and forums.
- The program will use multiple sources of data to measure students' skills and knowledge acquisition.