Dress for Success
- Conservative blue, gray or black two-piece business suit.
- Plain long-sleeved button down cotton shirt (professionally starched) over a traditional short sleeve white undershirt.
- Tie should be conservative.
- Shoes should be clean, polished and leather. Black wing-tips or lace-ups are best.
- Dark socks (black is best) that are long enough not to show skin when crossing legs.
- Get a haircut. If you have a beard or mustache that you are not willing to get rid of, they should be neatly trimmed.
- Make sure your nails are trimmed and that they are clean.
- No earrings.
- Use little or no cologne.
- Skirt or pants suit with a jacket in a conservative color (black, navy, gray, etc.). The skirt should be a little below the knee.
- Long-sleeved blouse should be cotton or silk in a light color and have a conservative neckline.
- Wear clothes that are timeless and not too tight or revealing.
- Shoes should be closed toe flats or low heels in black or another solid dark color to match the suit.
- Keep jewelry simple. Earrings, a single necklace or bracelet, an engagement or wedding ring.
- If you wear nail polish, use clear or a conservative color and trim nails to a short length.
- Minimal use of makeup in conservative tones.
- Pantyhose should be flawless (no runs) and conservative in color.
- Use little or no perfume.
Back to Top