Troubleshooting Common Problems in the CMS
The Marketing Department wants your experience with the CMS to be as easy and trouble-free as possible and we are available for help and guidance at any step during the editing and publishing process. Below are some issues commonly faced by CMS users that you may be able to quickly identify or even resolve yourself, but please don't waste much time troubleshooting. Contact the Marketing Department for help—we can usually resolve the problem quickly and get you back on track.
• I can't log into the CMS
• The page I want to edit is greyed out and I can't edit it.
• My text formatting (bold, italics, indent, etc.) has "leaked" onto lines of text where I don't want it.
• My published page includes odd fonts or missing text.
• I get an error message when I use right-click to cut and paste text in the Body Copy field.
• There is a large gap of white space between the image I've added to my page and the rest of the text.
• The video I added to my page is covering up the drop-down menu (or another element on the page).
• I finished my edits, but the changes have not appeared on the live web page.
- You entered your username or password incorrectly. Both are case-sensitive. Make sure you do not have CAPS locked on your keyboard and/or that you did not type in any extra spaces.
- You have not yet been set up as a CMS user or your information was set up incorrectly. Contact the Marketing Department.
- You are not on-campus. You can only log into the CMS from a Wheelock computer located on our campus. You cannot access the CMS remotely from your home unless you have already acquired permission from the Information Technology Department for a VPN connection.
- The page is assigned to another CMS user or to Authors.
Solution: Check to see whose name appears in the "Assigned to" field at the top of the page. If the page is assigned to "Authors," click the "Assign to Me" button. If it is assigned to another user in your group, contact Marketing Department to ask that the page be re-assigned to you.
- You did not Advance the page in Workflow.
Solution: Once the page is assigned to you, click the "Advance in Workflow" button at the top of the CMS and choose "Revise." Then choose your name from the drop-down list and click "OK."
- You do not have permission to edit the page.
Solution: Contact the Marketing Department to request permission or to pass along the edits to the correct department.
My text formatting (bold, italics, indent, etc.) has "leaked" onto lines of text where I don't want it.
If this happens, click the "Undo" button and add hard returns (hit Enter) between lines of text. You can Undo/Redo actions step by step.
My published page includes odd fonts or missing text.
This is almost always the result of pasting text directly from Word into the CMS rather than using the Paste as Plain Text option. Pasting directly from Word, or from an email, allows stray HTML coding to be added to the page. This error shows up most commonly in Explorer; the page may look fine in other browsers. If you check the HTML view of the page, you will probably see stray code (click here to see an example of what this may look like). It can be difficult and time-consuming to remove this code, but leaving it can result in a broken web page. Please contact the Marketing Department to remove the code.
I get an error message when I use right-click to cut and paste text in the Body Copy field.
This error occurs when using the Firefox web browser. Use command shortcuts instead: control-C for copy and control-V for paste.
There is a large gap of white space between the image I've added to my page and the rest of the text.
The photo is probably too wide. If the photo width exceeds 450 pixels, it won't fit alongside the widget/callout box (plus the pre-set buffer). So, the widget pushes the photo down the page. Resize the photo to 450 pixels or less and add it to the page again, or contact the Marketing Department for help.
The video I added to my page is covering up the drop-down menu (or another element on the page).
If an embedded video is covering up a drop-down menu (or anything else on a page), go to the html view and change the url of the video to include "?wmode=transparent" so the whole thing would be src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YLy4j8EZIk?wmode=transparent" for example. Contact the Marketing Department if you need help with this.
- You did not use the Advance in Workflow to submit the page for Approval and assign it to an Approver.
- You did not save your work before submitting the page for Approval.
- The Approver has not yet reviewed the page. Pages are usually published within a couple of hours of being submitted and you will receive an email saying your edits are live. If it has been more than a day and your edits are not live—or if you have time-sensitive edits that need to be published immediately—please contact the Marketing Department.