Basic Editing Tips and Tools
Edit an Existing Web Page
Create a New Web Page
Format Text and Add Links or Symbols on a CMS Page
Add a Photo to a Page
Photo Size and Text Length Guidelines
Embed Videos onto a Web Page
Publish a Web Page
IMPORTANT: You can add text to CMS pages from Word documents (and other text editors) using cut and paste. However, you must use the Paste as Plain Text option to avoid adding stray coding to the pages. See instructions below.
If you have any questions or problems as you use the CMS, please contact the Marketing Department. We want your experience using the CMS to be as easy as possible. If you simply want to make text edits to your page and have the Marketing Department add photos or make other more advanced updates, simply let us know. If you want to make more complex edits but need guidance, we are happy to provide it. If you have a question about a particular CMS page, please include the page's xID number in your email.
Go to the page you want to edit, either by finding it in the Site Tree or by entering its xID number into the "Go To" box at the top of the CMS. The page will likely appear greyed-out. If the page is not already assigned to you, click the "Assign to Me" button on the right-hand side.
Click the "Advance in Workflow" button, then click the small "Revise" button that appears right underneath.
Click on your name in the drop-down list of Authors that appears. (If your name does not appear in the list, that means you do not have permission to edit the page. Contact the Marketing Department.)
The page should now have a white background and be editable.
Type your edits directly into the Body Copy field. If you are making extensive edits, click the "Save" button occasionally.
You may also cut and paste from a Word document, but you must use the Paste as Plain Text option. There are two ways to do this:
1. Use the Paste as Plain Text button: Click the Paste as Plain Text button (it has a T on it) located above the Body Copy field. A dialogue box will pop up. Paste the test into the box and click "Insert."
2. Use key commands: Select the text you wish to copy using your mouse. Hold the Control button while you hit the "C" key. Click in the CMS Body Copy window where you want to add the text. Hold the Control button and hit the "V' key. You will notice that when you hit "paste," a dialogue box pops up. Select "Paste Text Only" and then paste your text into the dialogue box. Click "Insert."
You can also edit the Title field, which is the Headline that appears on the live web page.
Click the Preview tab. This shows what the page will look like on the web. You can click this tab at any time to review your page.
Run a Spellcheck and make any corrections.
Click the "Save" button.
Detail Pages: These are the most common pages on the website. They may include text, photos, and callout boxes.
Before you start building your Detail page, you need to decide where to locate it. The page that you select in the Site Tree will be the "parent" of your new page. If your new page appears in the website navigation, it will appear directly below its parent page.
Click on the parent page you have chosen to highlight it.
Click the "New" icon at the top of the CMS and select "Page"
Select "Detail Page" from the dropdown list and type the name of your page.
Please Note: The name of your page in the Site Tree will also be the title you see in the navigation bar on the website. Please keep the name short—ideally 1-3 words.
Fill in the Title, Abstract, and Body Copy fields as you would if you were editing an existing page.
Run a Spellcheck.
Event Detail Pages: These are used to create Events pages for the main Wheelock events calendar. We encourage every department to add events to the calendar.
To create a new Event, click "New," select Event Detail Page from the dropdown list and type the name of your page.
Please Note: Please keep the name short; 1-3 descriptive words.
Fill in the Title, Abstract, and all of the other information fields (Date/Time, Location, Contact, Body Copy/Event Description) the same way you add content to an existing page.
IMPORTANT: Unlike a regular Detail page, the Abstract on an Event Detail page will be visible in the Events Calendar and should be a complete sentence that summarizes the event in fewer than 144 characters.
Categorizing an Event: You also have the ability to categorize your event as Graduate Admissions, Undergraduate Admissions, Alumni, Career Center, Student Life, Towne Art Gallery, Wheelock Family Theatre, Social Work, or Professional Development. By categorizing your event, you allow users to find events by type.
Simply click on the category you want to add, click the right-arrow so it appears in the right-hand column and click OK. You can add more than one category.
Check the Page View to ensure everything is displaying properly.
Run a Spellcheck.
Once you have edited or added new content to a CMS page, you may add links and other formatting.
NOTE: Sometimes formatting can "leak" into lines where you don't want it. If this happens, click the "Undo" button and add hard returns (hit Enter) between lines. You can Undo/Redo actions step by step.
You can also, bold, underline, italicize, add bulleted or numbered lists, and indent.
Please do not underline text for emphasis. On the web, underlining implies that there is a hyperlink. Please limit underlining to instances where it is absolutely necessary, in citations for example.
To add symbols (such as &) and accent-marked letters, click on the Omega symbol (Ω).
Please do not add several hyphens (---) to stand in for an em dash (—). You can find the em dash under the Omega (Ω) symbol.
Add/Edit Links Within the Body Copy Field
There are several types of links you can add to text on your web page:
Internal Links, which link to other pages within the Wheelock web site.
External Links, which link to pages on outside web sites.
Document Links, which link to documents, typically PDFs. (PDFs are appropriate for forms and reports. Most types of other information should be included on the web page itself so it can be more easily viewed and found by web search engines.)
Email Links, which link to email addresses.
To insert a link, select the text you want to hyperlink using a mouse. When you select text, the "link" and "unlink" buttons become active.
1. If you are adding an external link, click on the link button.
- A dialogue box will pop up.
- Select "External link"
- Copy and paste the URL into the URL field
- In the "Target" field, click on the drop-down menu and select "Open in new window"
- Click "Insert"
It is important that you remember to choose "Open in new window" for external links. When a user clicks on this link, a new window with the external URL will pop up, rather than navigating the user away from Wheelock's site.
2. If you are adding an internal link, there are two methods.
- The first way is to select your text, click the link button, and then type in the X-ID of the page you want to link to in the page field.
- The second (and much faster) way is to:
- Highlight your text
- Choose the page you want to link to from the site tree
- "Drag and drop" the page onto the highlighted text
3. If you are adding a document link, click on the link button.
- In the dialogue box, choose "Document Link." That will call up a list of folders where all documents in the CMS are filed.
- Find the appropriate folder for your department and click on it so that it is highlighted.
- If the document you want has been uploaded to that folder previously:
- Simply find it in the list, click on it, then click "OK."
- If you're adding a new document:
- Click "upload" and then "select a file to upload." That will call up your desktop/local drives, where you can find the document you want to add.
- Click on the document you want to add, and click "upload"
- Once it's uploaded, click on the document (it will be the first item in the list) and click "OK"
- If the document you want has been uploaded to that folder previously:
- In the popup box that appears, check the "Open in New Window" option and add a title for the link.
4. If you are adding an email link, click on the link button.
- Highlight the text you want to link
- Click the link button
- Select email
- Enter the email address
- Click insert
To undo a link, simply highlight the link, then click the "break link" button.
After adding any link, go to the Page View tab to check that the link is working properly.
To add an existing photo:
- Click on the spot on your page where you want to add a photo
- Click on the "Insert Image" icon (it's a picture of a tree) or right-click and choose "Insert Image"
- Click on the "Browse" button (it looks like a small grid)
- Choose the folder for your department
- Select an image from the Library
- Click OK
You can add photos that are not already in the CMS folders, but you will first need to resize and upload the photo(s). If you do not know how to resize photos, you can contact the Marketing Department for instructions or you can simply email the photo after updating your page and ask the approver to add it (indicate the exact place on the page where it belongs).
IMPORTANT: Please do not resize or edit photos that already exist in the CMS folders. These photos are likely in use on other pages and you will affect how they display on those pages.
To upload a new photo to the CMS:
- Resize the photo to the appropriate size for your web page (see sizing guidelines below or ask the Marketing Department for help)
- Save the photo onto your desktop or a folder that's easily accessible.
- Click on the spot on your page where you want to add the photo
- Click on the "Insert Image" icon.
- Click on the "Browse" button.
- Click on "Upload'
- Click on "File to Upload." This will pull up files on your computer.
- Choose the photo from your desktop (or wherever you stored it).
- Click Open and then "Add"
Main Detail pages - for embedding in the main body copy:
- Recommended photo width: 350 pixels
- Absolute maximum photo width: 470 pixels
- Abstract Text (description that appears on homepage): 144 character maximum
- Thumbnail Photo Size: 180 x 135 pixels
- Main Photo Size: 200 x 200 pixels
- Abstract Text (description that appears on main Calendar page): 144 character maximum
- Main Photo Size: 200 x 200 pixels
- No Thumbnail Photo Needed
Videos help web pages get found more readily by search engines, so our goal is to embed videos onto as many of our web pages as possible. If you have a video that you would like added to one of your pages, you can contact the Marketing Department and we can add it for you. If you are very comfortable with the CMS and want to embed a video yourself, here are the instructions:
IMPORTANT: You cannot embed video files that use Flash. If you do, it will break the CMS page.
Your video must first be uploaded to YouTube. Please see the Marketing Department if you need help with this.
- Go to the YouTube video you want to add
- Click the Share button at the top, then the Embed option.
- Set a custom width of 350px (it will automatically set the proportional height for you). 350px is the typical size of a video box on our pages. The maximum width is 470px.
- Copy the embed code
In the CMS:
- Go to the page where you plan to add the video. Add XXXXXX on the Edit form in the spot where you want the video to go so you can find the spot easily.
- Click the HTML button and find the XXXXXX
- Paste the embed code you grabbed into that spot
- The video should appear and be playable in the Page View
TIP: If an embedded video is covering up a drop-down menu (or anything else on a page), go to the html view and change the url of the video to include "?wmode=transparent" so the whole thing would be src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YLy4j8EZIk?wmode=transparent" for example. Contact the Marketing Department if you need help with this.
Only Administrator and Self-publishers can publish a page directly to the Wheelock website. All other CMS users must submit their pages for Approval to the Marketing Department. The Approvers will review and publish the pages.
NOTE: Approvers check to ensure the page adheres to Wheelock's style guide, but they will not check for spelling, grammar, or the accuracy of content.
When your edits on a new or revised CMS page are complete, click the "Advance in Workflow" button.
Choose "Submit for Approval"
Click the Advance button.
Choose Marie Gendron from the drop-down list of Approvers.
You can add comments about the page to the Comments box below the Approver's name (for ex., "Please fix the formatting in the bulleted list" or "I've sent you a photo to embed separately").
An auto-email will be sent notifying Marie that your page is awaiting approval. Pages are typically published the same day they are submitted. If you need a page published immediately, contact the Marketing Department.
NOTE: You will not be able to retrieve your page for editing once it is assigned to the approver, so be sure your edits are complete before you submit a page for approval. If you have questions during the editing process or need to retrieve a page, contact the Marketing Department.