Department of Government & External Affairs, and Community Impact
Contact the Office
Marta T. Rosa, M.Ed.
Senior Executive Director of Government & External Affairs and Strategic Partnerships; Chief Diversity Officer
Julie Bolduc DeFilippo, M.S.W.
Director of Government and Community Relations
Cara Rubinstein, M.A.
Strategic Partnerships and Programs Manager
Alexandra V. Smith, M.A.
Communications & External Affairs Director
The Department of Government & External Affairs, and Community Impact advances Wheelock's mission to improve the lives of children and families through strategic collaboration, communication, advocacy, scholarship, program development, policy and research.
Success is grounded in:
- Engagement within Wheelock and with community partners- leveraging a broad array of ideas, passion, and expertise
- Shared leadership - ensuring all partners are collaborators and co-owners of our work
- Commitment to access and equity - providing equal opportunity to social, educational, and professional success
We approach our work with optimism, urgency, and the conviction that we can and will inspire a world of good.
Areas of Focus
- Government Affairs - The Policy Connection
- Media Relations
- Community Programs and Partnerships
- Grants Coordination
- Institutional Diversity
- The Aspire Institute - operates under the auspices of the Department of Government & External Affairs, and Community Impact
- Including the Mattahunt Wheelock Partnership
- Broker and Nurture relationships.
- Manage public relations seeking opportunities that position Wheelock and its experts.
- Seek and Engage strategic partners.
- Respond to and Influence policy issues aligned with the institutional mission.
- Identify and Coordinate public and private funding.
- Work with the President, leadership team members, faculty, staff, alumnae, students and community partners to achieve planned goals and objectives.
- Build effective collaborations.
- Engage all internal and external audiences to achieve success.
Since its creation in 2006, the Office of Government and External Affairs has had an impact internally as well as externally. The creation of several programs—including the Policy Connection web pages, the Student Policy Fellows Program, the Wheelock College Political Caucus, Winter Policy Talks, and the Annual Community Dialogue on Early Education and Care—has enabled the College to increase its visibility, facilitate engagement, and build collaborative relationships to further the institution's mission.
The Office has provided increased opportunities for students, faculty, staff, alumnae and the community at large to engage in policy discussion and debate. In addition, the office has helped obtain over $5 million in government funding to underwrite programs at the College.